Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an opportunity to buy a 2020 Red SeaReefer 250 used from my lfs. Incredible people, no question on the quality. I’m a current Nano owner. I’m totally intimidated by a bigger tank, including plumbing, sumps…everything! It’s a 55galon display…I need opinions people!!!!!
IMG_0305.jpeg
IMG_0305.jpeg
IMG_0283.jpeg
IMG_0305.jpeg
IMG_0285.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself personally, I would spend the extra money on a new G2/G2+. There have been some seam issues on older models (a quick search on R2R will bring up a few threads) which the newer tanks don't have (redesigned stands, corner bracing, thicker glass, etc.)

Tim'sReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above go for the G2 if you want to upgrade. Might I ask why you want to upgrade?

The rock in you're nano looks really new and there is not al lot of coral coverage so I would think you can run this tank a while longer before having to upgrade. Not saying you shouldn't but if you feel intimidated by it maybe try to get some more learning out of the current setup.

Good luck!

World Wide Corals

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But... if it is super cheap... You can add extra support to the tank and it would be worth it. ie: euro bracing and corner bracing. Although a 250L is not a lot of water volume. I believe that it is the bigger Red Sea tanks have more issues.

dmsc2fs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the RedSea problems have ever need identified in the smaller tanks. I wouldn't think twice about the leak issues from the larger RedSea tanks when considering this smaller one. If the price is right go for it.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the RedSea problems have ever need identified in the smaller tanks. I wouldn't think twice about the leak issues from the larger RedSea tanks when considering this smaller one. If the price is right go for it.
That is not quite correct, the 3 footers like the 250 are definitely popping seams. I know from personal experience.

Zokki

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not quite correct, the 3 footers like the 250 are definitely popping seams. I know from personal experience.
So you wouldn’t recommend Red Sea at all? I was thinking to change to Red Sea 250 also …. So probably it will be better to wait and save for something better

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, definitely not.

Crappy apps for the lighting, the lights never stay connected to your wireless. The tank seams bust, the stands sag and even the skimmer from Red Sea was garbage compared to the Reef Octopus I converted to. On the surface the tanks and system looked great but the headaches make me run miles away from Red Sea.

OP
OP
nanomom

nanomom

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But... if it is super cheap... You can add extra support to the tank and it would be worth it. ie: euro bracing and corner bracing. Although a 250L is not a lot of water volume. I believe that it is the bigger Red Sea tanks have
Thanks peeps, my nano is a baby yet, so I think you’re right and I should do some more growing and learning before upgrading.
My reason for eventually upgrading is aquascaping and I really want a yellow tang!!! Lol

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back