Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found what I'm 99% sure is red Planeria on my soft coral. I'm experienced in the fish world but this is my first tank with Coral. I have some soft corals along with a bunch of fish. So how much do I need to worry about this? Is this something that may not cause any harm if left or do I need to do something ASAP?
Thanks in advance!

Top Shelf Aquatics

ScottyD36

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found what I'm 99% sure is red Planeria on my soft coral. I'm experienced in the fish world but this is my first tank with Coral. I have some soft corals along with a bunch of fish. So how much do I need to worry about this? Is this something that may not cause any harm if left or do I need to do something ASAP?
Thanks in advance!
If it is indeed red planeria they can multiple very quickly and upset your coral. Also if to many of them show up in your tank and die all at once they can release a toxin that can nuke your tank. I would first take the coral out if you can and do a coral dip to kill them.

OP
OP
JGTPA

JGTPA

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I really only see them on my coral. I assume that they're also all over my rock as well but I can't see them. Is it possible that they're only on the Coral?
Either way... I'm dipping now!

CLICK TO VIEW

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take care of them as fast as possible. Levamisole is a livestock dewormer that will beat them easy - Flatworm Exit is the same stuff). The stuff is plenty safe, but the worms secrete toxin that is FOR REAL and can harm things, so fewer numbers are good and so is having lots of water for a water change and containers of activated carbon on hand to run. It will take a few rounds. The first round is the worst. The last round you can just leave the dewormer in the tank and it will breakdown or get removed with the skimmer in a day, or so.

You can get some fish and/or other stuff to eat them, but they never get them all.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Chemi-pure.com - All-In-One Aquarium Filtration
Back