Red Growths on New Hammer Frag

ReefToad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought this gold hammer frag from That Fish Place in Lancaster PA today. Upon inspection during a dip, I noticed these hard, red growths on the skeleton of the coral. They're hard, yet brittle enough to scrape off with my nail. I left some on incase they may be harmless or beneficial, but they can be easily removed if not. Anyone able to ID this for me? Thanks in advance

20240721_131119.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought this gold hammer frag from That Fish Place in Lancaster PA today. Upon inspection during a dip, I noticed these hard, red growths on the skeleton of the coral. They're hard, yet brittle enough to scrape off with my nail. I left some on incase they may be harmless or beneficial, but they can be easily removed if not. Anyone able to ID this for me? Thanks in advance
Can't say what it is for sure without pics, but (based on past experience) I'd guess a benthic foraminiferan like Miniacina miniacea or a branching variety of Homotrema rubrum. Harmless filter feeders if so.

OP
OP
ReefToad

ReefToad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I edited and added a photo. I figured some sort of foraminifera from other posts, but wasn't positive since it's so small. Is there any chance of it smothering the coral?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back