Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a ton... those pics help me to understand how you hooked this up. Those cutting were buried on the BRS website... but found them. I found one of the fittings at lowes, lol.

Do you run yours 24/7? I was thinking of moving it to the sump with a higher flow rate after i was satisfied with my dino control. I really think i have them under control now, but wanted to hit them a little harder.
You are welcome. Anyone that looks like they might be a buckeye fan is OK in my world. BTW, I’m heading up to Columbus tomorrow for the Ohio state women’s basketball game and staying the next day for the men’s. Big buckeye fan here :)

I do run mine 24/7, but mine is on a 180 gallon tank. Honestly, other than maintenance, I see no negative with running 24/7. You’ll just have to keep an eye on temperature in your sized tank. I’ve had 2 dino outbreaks in my 20 ish years of reefing, so hopefully UV can be one of my preventative tools. I do know reefers that move their UV to the sump at some point with success, although it didn’t work for me.

Good luck.

Corals.com

AdamB

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is exactly info I was looking for .
I just bought a 57 aqua uv for $40 at habitat for humanity . Great condition. I am just trying to decide if I hook it up to my koi pond line which it appears what it was set up fore beforehand or if I can plumb it down to run on my 80 gallon reef tank.

Corals.com

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 57 aqua uv for $40 at habitat for humanity . Great condition. I am just trying to decide if I hook it up to my koi pond line which it appears what it was set up fore beforehand or if I can plumb it down to run on my 80 gallon reef tank.
Score! Wow $40!

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$40!!! Wow, I thought I got a heck of a deal at $150, lol. I'll be hooking mine up to a 75g tank, total about 100g with sump.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome. Anyone that looks like they might be a buckeye fan is OK in my world. BTW, I’m heading up to Columbus tomorrow for the Ohio state women’s basketball game and staying the next day for the men’s. Big buckeye fan here :)

I do run mine 24/7, but mine is on a 180 gallon tank. Honestly, other than maintenance, I see no negative with running 24/7. You’ll just have to keep an eye on temperature in your sized tank. I’ve had 2 dino outbreaks in my 20 ish years of reefing, so hopefully UV can be one of my preventative tools. I do know reefers that move their UV to the sump at some point with success, although it didn’t work for me.

Good luck.
Go Bucks!! I don't get to make it back to Ohio State as often as I like....I live in Tennessee now, right on the KY border.

I had a terrible outbreak of amphidinium dinos and eventually got them under control with elevated nutrients, adding biodiversity, dosing silicates, etc.... I also had one area on a rock where Ostreopsis dinos occurred, but that was a very small area only where I found that type. I then had a terrible cyano outbreak due to the crazy nutrient levels and my tank being out of balance. When I slowly tried to bring the nutrient levels down to more normal readings (over a months time), the amphidinium dinos started to come back stronger! I was at a loss... So, I did the Elegant Corals dino/cyano treatment. It was wonderful. My amphidinium dinos are hard to find now in my tank...but they are still present, but greatly controlled. But the odd thing, after that treatment, the Ostreopsis really started to spread and show up in larger quantities. Well, I will take Ostreopsis dinos over Amphidinium dinos any time, if given the choice! I knocked them back majorly by siphoning them all off the rocks into a 10 micron sock. So now, the tank looks great, but I want this UV to really kick their butts and to keep them controlled! I may try to move the UV to the sump after a month of so of DT use just to see if it will work.

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Bucks!! I don't get to make it back to Ohio State as often as I like....I live in Tennessee now, right on the KY border.

I had a terrible outbreak of amphidinium dinos and eventually got them under control with elevated nutrients, adding biodiversity, dosing silicates, etc.... I also had one area on a rock where Ostreopsis dinos occurred, but that was a very small area only where I found that type. I then had a terrible cyano outbreak due to the crazy nutrient levels and my tank being out of balance. When I slowly tried to bring the nutrient levels down to more normal readings (over a months time), the amphidinium dinos started to come back stronger! I was at a loss... So, I did the Elegant Corals dino/cyano treatment. It was wonderful. My amphidinium dinos are hard to find now in my tank...but they are still present, but greatly controlled. But the odd thing, after that treatment, the Ostreopsis really started to spread and show up in larger quantities. Well, I will take Ostreopsis dinos over Amphidinium dinos any time, if given the choice! I knocked them back majorly by siphoning them all off the rocks into a 10 micron sock. So now, the tank looks great, but I want this UV to really kick their butts and to keep them controlled! I may try to move the UV to the sump after a month of so of DT use just to see if it will work.
We have a similar story with dinos. My major victory with amphidinium with came after I removed my sand. I miss my sand.

CLICK TO VIEW

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to pile on this thread but I wonder if a MJ1200 would be recommended for the 25w Aqua UV as well?
Likely. Remind me the volume of your tank? Typically we see that running 1-3 tank volumes per hour through the unit is good. You’ll probably get about 200 gph.

drawman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely. Remind me the volume of your tank? Typically we see that running 1-3 tank volumes per hour through the unit is good. You’ll probably get about 200 gph.
54 gallon display (Red Sea Reefer 250). I may even have a smaller maxijet laying around.

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
54 gallon display (Red Sea Reefer 250). I may even have a smaller maxijet laying around.
I think you would be fine with mj1200 or smaller. Good luck.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

drawman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be fine with mj1200 or smaller. Good luck.
Thank you sir! Now tough thing will be figuring out how to mount it! Tank is rimless and about 1.5-2ft from the wall on all sides. I'll probably have to build something out of wood or PVC...

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir! Now tough thing will be figuring out how to mount it! Tank is rimless and about 1.5-2ft from the wall on all sides. I'll probably have to build something out of wood or PVC...
It’s tough. I hung mine off the back. I posted some pics on one of the other threads. I can’t get better pics now because my Christmas tree blocks access to the back of my tank. See below. Post #13 shows the back of the tank and some parts I used. Post #17 shows the front. Let me know if I can help.

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops I see this is the same thread o_O

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I get for watching football and replying to threads at the same time! Go Bucks!

The Buckeyes were solid today... it's so awesome to pound Michigan. It makes the whole season worthwhile, lol.

Nutramar Foods

drawman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s tough. I hung mine off the back. I posted some pics on one of the other threads. I can’t get better pics now because my Christmas tree blocks access to the back of my tank. See below. Post #13 shows the back of the tank and some parts I used. Post #17 shows the front. Let me know if I can help.

Oops I see this is the same thread o_O
Thanks! Definitely good to see how the plumbing was done as well. This is the one time I'm wishing I had a canopy! I bought mounting clips so I think I'll still try to make something crappy out of wood and try to hide it behind the tank.

drawman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 1/2 inch union (see my brs order below) to start. One end fits snugly over the mj1200 discharge nozzle. The other end hooked up to tubing.

So the installation went mj1200 ==> 1/2 inch Murdock union ==> 1/2inch tubing ==> 1/2 inch Union/threaded ===> 1/2 inch piping over back of aquarium ==> 1/2 x2” (?) reducer to UV unit.

Here a pic of the back of my tank when it was plumbed temporarily.

View attachment 1286717

From my BRS order
G.A. Murdock
1/2" X 1/2" STRAIGHT UNION PUSH CONNECT - BLACK
100020$2.99
G.A. Murdock
1/2" MALE NPT X 1/2" PUSH CONNECT
100003$3.49
1/2" BLACK MUR-LOK POLYETHYLENE RO TUBING100014

One more question for you @dwest did you get the 1/2" to 2" reducer at the hardware store? Just trying to gauge what I may need to order at BRS and it really seems like just the 3 things you ordered. Thanks again!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back