+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks -

Looking to get recommendations for a reef-ready system w/ display tank ~100-125 gallons.

A little background on me... long time (30+ yrs) freshwater veteran. Finally made the switch to saltwater a little over year ago by transforming an old 40g freshwater tank as an "experiment". Not with ideal equipment (no sump, using canister filter, lower end T5 lights, etc) I told myself if it was successful after a year I would spend the money to do it right. Fast forward a year+, I've been surprisingly successful with very minimal losses & lessons learned and ready to reward myself and do it right and get a larger tank.

Currently have a mixed reef tank:
Corals: acans, duncans, zoas, mushrooms, gonipora, torch, leathers ,etc but would probably want SPS
Livestock: 2 clowns, 4 anthias, yellow tang (yes they all need a larger home!) + bengal cardinal, royal gramma, various snails, crabs and a coral banded shrimp

Been doing some research on larger tanks that are reef ready/all in one ideally - but would be interested in others thoughts:
-Seems Red Reefer is a safe route (leaning towards 425XL - 112g)
-Interested in CAD lights Artisan (100 or 125g) as it seems like a great deal, but have read mixed reviews
-Also considering Waterbox Platinum (133g) but haven't seem much experience

Thoughts on these or other options??

Also - I'd be putting this on my second floor... any concerns about weight of tank/stand + sand/live rock + water weight?

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Robg719

Robg719

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World Wide Corals

Cherub

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at tanks for a while too, kinda leaning toward red sea at the moment. If you get the reefer, make sure the glass isn't drilled for light mounts. You have to organize this with the dealer as RS sneaks them in if they can. SCA seems pretty nice too plus their sump would be better than the red sea as it has no refugium. The plumbing on the red sea seems way nicer. CAD is a good price but people tend to complain sometimes. I've seen people who love them and others who complain about the finishing details. I've also been looking at the Crystalline series from Planet Aquarium. These people are the Oceanic people who split off and made their own tanks, the rimless comes with a pretty sweet sump as well and I got a quote that was pretty good.

Good luck on your search! Make a build thread with lots of pics when you get it lol

679x

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No personal experience from any of those (yet), but I've read many mixed reviews on the cad lights tanks, and when it comes to a glass box containing living creatures and many gallons of water, it's probably best to get something that doesn't have many negative reviews. I can't remember what I read about them, but since you said you also have seen mixed reviews, I would stay away from it.

I personally am going to get a Red Sea Reefer as my first saltwater aquarium in about a month. More expensive, but the tank itself is beautiful in appearance and also beautifully made from what I've read about them. I agree with you -- it's a safe route to go. I feel that if you can't get anything cheaper for good quality, you should go with the Reefer, or at least keep it in the back of your mind while you look at other tank options.

All my knowledge about saltwater is from reading online, so even though I'd love to help, I don't think I can give as good advice as others on this forum that actually have experience with a certain tank brand.

Good luck with your new tank :)

Avast

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Custom tank but if I was to go with off the self it would be Red Sea for sure. Id just order the tank and stand and customize the remainder.
I'd highly recommend the Vortech for flow - Having used all other brands before this one by far is the best for all types of corals and can be adjusted to fit your needs,. Pretty much its a great pump for beginners as you set it in middle of the panel and watch it move all the water in all directions.

Some shots for inspiration =)

20170413_015229.jpg

20170407_215221.jpg

20170409_021554.jpg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back