Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gold Rim Hybrid Tang

We've got a few of these guys hitting the site just now! Gold Rim Hybrid tangs, very rare very unique! It's a mix between a Gold Rim and an Achilles. Also sometimes called the HAW (Hybrid Achilles White Cheek? I think...) Tang.

Never seen one in person before, but they are very beautiful!

received_552092843112290.jpeg

Last edited:

Milkman420

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would these fish have the same requirements and issues that plague Achilles tangs. I’m assuming lots of swimming space, ick magnets, and high oxygen levels along with flow? It’s a beautiful fish and one I’m working towards getting after finally upgrading to a 180. I’m just worried due to already having a very aggressive purple tang and emperor angel that both like to show everyone they’re the bosses. I think the purples the boss between the 2 of them but I don’t think they ever went after each other they just team up on everyone else in the tank lol

OP
OP
ReefChasers

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't really consider them to be any more of an Ich magnet then any other Surgeon Fish, but as you know tangs in general are prone to it. Tangs in general require a lot of swimming space, although this particular tang's maximum growth size is not as large as others. A 180 Gallon tank would be perfect for it. We recommend a 130 as an absolute minimum.

The oxygen in our fish holding systems is definitely not as high as it is in our Reef Systems due to various factors, we haven't noticed any issues with Achilles or any other fish due to the ORP level which is around 250 (where as our reef systems hit more as high as 400). I am not sure there is any definitive information out there about an ORP level that an achilles might need more so than any other fish.

Moderate flow seems to be sufficient, which assuming you are going to have a 130 gal - 180+ gal system housing a fish like this it should not be an issue.

Tang's are aggressive towards conspecifics for the most part (so for example Acantharus may not mix very well with other Acantharus). Acantharus are a more aggressive variety of tang. That said they seldom bother other species especially if the body shape and colorations are different.

It sounds like what you are describing is more of a 'pecking order' type of aggression versus any lethal aggression (from your purple). I think that a zebrasoma would likely mix fine with this fish.

Also, I am not a scientist or expert on the breeding of fish or cross breeding of them, but in the dog world I think we all know that a pure bred is likely to have more health-related issues then a hybrid (mutt) -- I would -assume- this to also hold true of a hybrid fish species but, don't quote me on that one!

We also sell quarantined fish in our Salty Lagoon but these ones have not made it that far yet, if they don't get scooped up, they may become available for purchase at a later date in our Salty Lagoon where you could have more confidence about the specimens overall health and know that we've had them on hand for a period of at least 4+ weeks.

Enkopaaisen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would these fish have the same requirements and issues that plague Achilles tangs. I’m assuming lots of swimming space, ick magnets, and high oxygen levels along with flow? It’s a beautiful fish and one I’m working towards getting after finally upgrading to a 180. I’m just worried due to already having a very aggressive purple tang and emperor angel that both like to show everyone they’re the bosses. I think the purples the boss between the 2 of them but I don’t think they ever went after each other they just team up on everyone else in the tank lol
Getting in to a new tank will be the only time you can add new tangs…… the key is the new fish has to be the same size or larger than old fish. Plus you can qt them first. Let’s say you get the new tang into a qt system first, after 1 week, you can move your old tang and angel into qt. Qt them for next 4-5 weeks. That will normally break their social orders. This worked for me.

OP
OP
ReefChasers

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting in to a new tank will be the only time you can add new tangs…… the key is the new fish has to be the same size or larger than old fish. Plus you can qt them first. Let’s say you get the new tang into a qt system first, after 1 week, you can move your old tang and angel into qt. Qt them for next 4-5 weeks. That will normally break their social orders. This worked for me.

Not really true. My personal 180 gal teef started with only 1 large yellow tang. Later i added a small hippo and naso, and then most recently I added a medium sized bristletooth.

They all get along just fine since they are very different species.

It helps to have a big tank with a large community of well behaved fish.

OP
OP
ReefChasers

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, he already said his tang and angle were quite tough..... but as you said, shape difference is also a good way to avoid conflict among the tangs....
Yeah and more often then not its a space issue so it has a lot to do with tank size.

Ever seen the tanks of some with the 300g+ they will have those babies loaded

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Bulk Reef Supply
Back