Rapid tail rot(?) on captive-bred Ocellaris

KGNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This juvenile Ocellaris is captive-bred and about 4-5 months old and was added to a new tank after a completed tank cycle one month ago.

Current water parameters:
Water parameters appear fine: Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 20ppm, pH 8.4, Water temp 26°C, Salinity 1.024.

Over the past 48 hours I've noticed this fish's tail rapidly deteriorating and becoming pale

The fish has been eating fine, a mix of flakes and mysis - though in the past 24 hours the tail has been slowing the fish down a lot and seems to be eating less and resting on the sand more.

Additional history:
Some blemishes/lesions appeared on only the white parts of the fish over the first 10 days in the tank. The white tail strip also darkened over that period. I tried Melafix without much improvement, but the lesions seem to have stabilized without progressing. I made a post here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clownfish-bruising-lesion.936964/post-12892727

I've not seen aggression other than this fish darting/charging towards the other clown in the pair on the first couple days in the tank. Not seen any aggression since, in fact I see them resting on the sand together quite often.

I have Metroplex, Kanaplex and Focus on hand. If I were to administer any of these, is it alright to dose the main tank (fish only - and only the pair of Ocellaris). Or do I need to separate the fish into QT?

Greatly appreciate any advice!

Attached: Video is from today. Photo is from yesterday evening. IMG20241014201006.jpg IMG20241014201006.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20241015091423.mp4
    13.7 MB
  • VID_20241015091423.mp4
    13.7 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
This juvenile Ocellaris is captive-bred and about 4-5 months old and was added to a new tank after a completed tank cycle one month ago.

Current water parameters:
Water parameters appear fine: Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 20ppm, pH 8.4, Water temp 26°C, Salinity 1.024.

Over the past 48 hours I've noticed this fish's tail rapidly deteriorating and becoming pale

The fish has been eating fine, a mix of flakes and mysis - though in the past 24 hours the tail has been slowing the fish down a lot and seems to be eating less and resting on the sand more.

Additional history:
Some blemishes/lesions appeared on only the white parts of the fish over the first 10 days in the tank. The white tail strip also darkened over that period. I tried Melafix without much improvement, but the lesions seem to have stabilized without progressing. I made a post here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clownfish-bruising-lesion.936964/post-12892727

I've not seen aggression other than this fish darting/charging towards the other clown in the pair on the first couple days in the tank. Not seen any aggression since, in fact I see them resting on the sand together quite often.

I have Metroplex, Kanaplex and Focus on hand. If I were to administer any of these, is it alright to dose the main tank (fish only - and only the pair of Ocellaris). Or do I need to separate the fish into QT?

Greatly appreciate any advice!

Attached: Video is from today. Photo is from yesterday evening. IMG20241014201006.jpg IMG20241014201006.jpg
This looks like aggression damage and likely from other clown which is likely a female
What other occupants in the tank?
This will repair on its own as long as it’s not continued to be nipped at
May require isolating the other clown

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both clowns seem really pale. The one’s fin damage is likely from tankmate aggression. You may never see it because clowns are sly and behave nicer when you are watching them.

OP
OP
KGNZ

KGNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like aggression damage and likely from other clown which is likely a female
What other occupants in the tank?
This will repair on its own as long as it’s not continued to be nipped at
May require isolating the other clown
Thanks, it's just the pair of Ocellaris in a fish only tank for now. I actually assumed this one was the female, as it was larger than it's pair when it arrived. I think they've become more similar in size since though, so wonder if that's causing aggression.

Could isolation and re-introduction to each other resolve aggression issues - or is aggression likely to reoccur?

What would be your threshold for isolating a fish - ie. should I do it asap, or monitor for further signs of nipping?

OP
OP
KGNZ

KGNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both clowns seem really pale. The one’s fin damage is likely from tankmate aggression. You may never see it because clowns are sly and behave nicer when you are watching them.
That's super interesting. Any idea what could cause pale colouring? They seem to be eating fine - I alternate between feeding them Seachem Marine flakes and frozen mysis. Could it be stress?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
That's super interesting. Any idea what could cause pale colouring? They seem to be eating fine - I alternate between feeding them Seachem Marine flakes and frozen mysis. Could it be stress?
Pale can be from both stress and even early signs of brooklynella. All the issues discussed, Ruby rally pro would be a good and safe medication to use

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could be stress, but if they've been this pale the whole time you've had them, it is more likely to do with poor breeding.

OP
OP
KGNZ

KGNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To close off this thread - I isolated the affected fish to prevent any further aggression. I can’t get ruby rally imported easily over here, so started to dose Kanaplex. Unfortunately, the tail continued to deteriorate rapidly and the fish died two days after the original post.

The remaining clown continues to eat well and has been incredibly more active/lively since being alone - constantly hanging out in the water column throughout the day, rather than lying on the sand or in a cave.

Thoughts on the aggression - although the clowns were sold to me as a pair and one was slightly smaller than the other when I first introduced them to the tank, my latest photos show the clowns had grown to become pretty much the same size. I wonder whether they were never truly a pair and had been clashing from the start. That would also explain the marks/lesions on the first white stripes of both of their heads that developed in the first week.

Thanks Jay and Vetteguy for the support on this thread.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back