Random: Can I Pull Aquarium Stand Out With Full 55 Gallon (To Put Black Background On)?

BRS

JSkeleton

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question but is there any risk if done carefully, to pulling my Aquarium stand out from the wall with a full 55 Gallon that has 28lbs of rock and about 42lbs of arragonite?

I didn't think of doing it prior to filling it, partially because I figured I'd just get a stick on background but I can't find any good black background that's the right size (or that can be cut to the right size), so I was going to try to just paint it black with Acrylic (unless anyone has a better suggestion)?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question but is there any risk if done carefully, to pulling my Aquarium stand out from the wall with a full 55 Gallon that has 28lbs of rock and about 42lbs of arragonite?

I didn't think of doing it prior to filling it, partially because I figured I'd just get a stick on background but I can't find any good black background that's the right size (or that can be cut to the right size), so I was going to try to just paint it black with Acrylic (unless anyone has a better suggestion)?

Probably not. Even if you could handle the weight, I wouldn't move a full tank that way. Keep checking out your LFS, surely one will have the plastic solid color stuff that you can use without moving the tank.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not. Even if you could handle the weight, I wouldn't move a full tank that way. Keep checking out your LFS, surely one will have the plastic solid color stuff that you can use without moving the tank.
What if I empty 25-50% of the water after my cycle (currently cycling, or trying to if the bacteria would start working on the ammonia lol)?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I empty 25-50% of the water after my cycle (currently cycling, or trying to if the bacteria would start working on the ammonia lol)?

If you don't have any fish in there yet, why not just drain most of the water into a brute can? A 32g should hold almost all of it. Then you could more easily move the tank away from the wall to paint it.

Cover the tank so you do not get any overspray of accidental paint into the display.

Place a wave maker of some kind into the brute can to keep it circulating.

Once the background is done, push it back into place, double check that you are still level, adjust if needed and refill. Its a pain, but better done now than if you wait till it is stocked.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the tank sitting on? Carpet? Vinyl? Tile?

Yes it can be done. I moved my 90gal from my wall 1.5”. Just take out water until it’s light enough you can slide it.

This will not work on carpet.
Wood floor (like those *fake?* wood panels or whatever)

CLICK TO VIEW

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood floor (like those *fake?* wood panels or whatever)

Pergo.

Make sure that you keep a couple towels on hand EVERY time to do any work on the tank involving water.

Pergo flooring does NOT react well to being wet. Clean every spill immediately!!

bblumberg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved my 90 gallon tank in this way by emptying most of the water leaving just enough to cover the fish. Then lift one end and have someone push a furniture pad underneath the stand. Do the same with the other end so that most of the stand bottom is covered by the furniture pads. Then slide the tank to where you want it. This worked MUCH better for me than furniture sliders. I moved this tank several times this way without damaging our wood floors when they were being redone (due to a slab leak flood).

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get furniture sliders. Hard plastic disc for carpet, soft pad for hard floors.

Yes thats easy. I only drain about 30 gallons from mine and slid it. It took some force but it worked. Go slow.

The furniture sliders are great, but they have to be placed below the unit before it can be moved. Since the tank is full now, it would need to be drained enough to lift up and get the sliders under it anyway. At that point, why bother? Plus, if left under the stand, they will cause issues with leveling, or need to be removed prior to refilling. Seems a lot of extra effort for what needs to be done here.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved my 90 gallon tank in this way by emptying most of the water leaving just enough to cover the fish. Then lift one end and have someone push a furniture pad underneath the stand. Do the same with the other end so that most of the stand bottom is covered by the furniture pads. Then slide the tank to where you want it. This worked MUCH better for me than furniture sliders. I moved this tank several times this way without damaging our wood floors when they were being redone (due to a slab leak flood).
Interesting! I don’t need to move it too far just maybe a foot to slide behind it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Canada and from what I can see on Amazon Canada there was nothing :/ Tank is 48x22
Try looking for car wrap material. It will stick to glass like a champ. Can order it in all kinds of sizes. Think racing stripe on a hood lol.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back