+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R!

I purchased an awesome rainbow monti on 6/8 from my LFS, and have a question about how to get the best PE.

The coral overall seems to be fine, and has great PE at night and doesn't seem to be bleaching/receding. It's still on the sand bed since I'm letting it acclimate. However, the PE during the day is minimal and the actual skeleton of the coral is pale so it ends up looking pretty rough. The rest of my tank is LPS, so I'm just dipping my toe into hard corals. Tank parameters below (as of 6/13 - I am testing today):

IM 25 lagoon
Other tank inhabitants: clownfish pair, conch, blue leg hermits, snails, two acans (very healthy + growing fast), blue tip hammer, war coral.
Temp: 79
Salinity: 1.027
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40
Calcium: 481
Alk: 8.9

Any help would be appreciated!

reef-rc

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rainbow monti that i purchased a while back and noticed that if it does not receive enough light it will slowly turn brown in color over time. If it gets too much light, it will start turning white. I had observed this very shift with my monti within the last few weeks. I think it's at a point where I need to lower it down slightly to avoid over exposure. Of course what I said can be applied to most SPS. I think rainbow monti need close to 100 PAR.

OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rainbow monti that i purchased a while back and noticed that if it does not receive enough light it will slowly turn brown in color over time. If it gets too much light, it will start turning white. I had observed this very shift with my monti within the last few weeks. I think it's at a point where I need to lower it down slightly to avoid over exposure. Of course what I said can be applied to most SPS. I think rainbow monti need close to 100 PAR.

yeah i have it kind off off-center on the sand bed so I'm not sure if that would be my issue or not

Avast
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it very hard to kill the rainbow monti with too much light. I was pulling amazing colors and it was under about 500-600 par... move that coral up!

I was kind of thinking this would be my next move. Especially since what I've read is that lack of PE usually means the coral wants more light.

OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate at 40 is to high for many SPS . My rainbow looks best with t5 blue plus , in fact all montipora look best with blue plus bulbs

ugh, I've heard that a time or two. Unfortunately I've been battling nitrates in this tank like crazy. Nothing seems to be helping.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Sabellafella

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey R2R!

I purchased an awesome rainbow monti on 6/8 from my LFS, and have a question about how to get the best PE.

The coral overall seems to be fine, and has great PE at night and doesn't seem to be bleaching/receding. It's still on the sand bed since I'm letting it acclimate. However, the PE during the day is minimal and the actual skeleton of the coral is pale so it ends up looking pretty rough. The rest of my tank is LPS, so I'm just dipping my toe into hard corals. Tank parameters below (as of 6/13 - I am testing today):

IM 25 lagoon
Other tank inhabitants: clownfish pair, conch, blue leg hermits, snails, two acans (very healthy + growing fast), blue tip hammer, war coral.
Temp: 79
Salinity: 1.027
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40
Calcium: 481
Alk: 8.9

Any help would be appreciated!
Hey man, could you toss in a photo if you can? Depending on what monti it is, I can most likely share a good opinion =)

OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, could you toss in a photo if you can? Depending on what monti it is, I can most likely share a good opinion =)

c3879e3c6d341c11b1778cbacd03e9fd.jpg

Here’s one from the day after I posted the thread!

Avast
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More flow and more light. Basically, try another spot. It doesn't like that area. And, as you already know, lowering nitrates would help as well.

Yeah I think I’ll move it. Was trying to give it some time to see if it was just cranky for a day or two but it’s still unhappy

Mtb_reefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back