Radion XR15 G6 Pro over SR60 PAR

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course the corals will still grow - white spectrum has blue in it. There’s a reason why everyone went to 20k radium MH bulbs. Also 30 years ago there wasn’t much to choose from. Most MH bulbs were 6500K and then as reefing started really growing lower spectrum bulbs came out like 12K and 20k Radium (although the radium was probably closer to 15K which is what AB+ is about).

For an experiment, go and filter out all blue (annythjng under 500nm wavelength) and run just reds and greens and see how much the corals grows.
There's a major difference between marketed white, broad spectrum and full spectrum. Could be those early white LED weren't even remotely broad spectrum, Know that the combination white plus actinic o3 blue of the 80s weren't running broad spectrum for the whites. Figured that out when I started selling full spectrum for reptiles which could have been used with fish yet don't recall any trying with coral. Infancy when it came to understanding lights then and I think we are still learning.

Since Radion have all channels then when all used I believe that's at a minimum broad spectrum from speaking with Ecotech few years ago. Believe their whites also but not sure.

Key is working with what one has vs ditching and spending my point. Plus DLI might be legit. Believe that's why I kept an anemone thriving in the 80s although might lighting was far from adequate yet duration around 14 plus hours. No clue what they were other than salt specific and sold for corals. 80s more foggy than the 90s.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a major difference between marketed white, broad spectrum and full spectrum. Could be those early white LED weren't even remotely broad spectrum, Know that the combination white plus actinic o3 blue of the 80s weren't running broad spectrum for the whites. Figured that out when I started selling full spectrum for reptiles which could have been used with fish yet don't recall any trying with coral. Infancy when it came to understanding lights then and I think we are still learning.

Since Radion have all channels then when all used I believe that's at a minimum broad spectrum from speaking with Ecotech few years ago. Believe their whites also but not sure.

Key is working with what one has vs ditching and spending my point. Plus DLI might be legit. Believe that's why I kept an anemone thriving in the 80s although might lighting was far from adequate yet duration around 14 plus hours. No clue what they were other than salt specific and sold for corals. 80s more foggy than the 90s.
There’s 2 different methods of producing white - either a full spectrum source or using separate RGB to blend a full spectrum (true for any light source, it’s just harder to blend than LEDs which you can make very tiny - the bigger the source the further from it you need to be to see an effective blend). With white (“full” spectrum), there’s different color temperatures which will tweak the spectrum a bit. Early white LEDs ran less blue and were lower in Kelvin than newer ones (again, which imply why the blue is needed).

Reptiles need the radiant heat, the lower the wavelength, the less heat. Not sure why you’re trying to correlate this to reef keeping.

I’m not sure what context you’re trying to use “broad spectrum” in. Are you suggesting an equal luminosity across the whole visible spectrum aka CRI 100?

Like this?
1722880504468.png

This is about a 2700K color temperature FYI, which would appear very yellow to our eyes (we see less blue or red, which is why equal spectrum lighting appears yellow).

@oreo54 would have a lot more specifics with the science/data behind lighting.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s 2 different methods of producing white - either a full spectrum source or using separate RGB to blend a full spectrum (true for any light source, it’s just harder to blend than LEDs which you can make very tiny - the bigger the source the further from it you need to be to see an effective blend). With white (“full” spectrum), there’s different color temperatures which will tweak the spectrum a bit. Early white LEDs ran less blue and were lower in Kelvin than newer ones (again, which imply why the blue is needed).

Reptiles need the radiant heat, the lower the wavelength, the less heat. Not sure why you’re trying to correlate this to reef keeping.

I’m not sure what context you’re trying to use “broad spectrum” in. Are you suggesting an equal luminosity across the whole visible spectrum aka CRI 100?

Like this?
1722880504468.png

This is about a 2700K color temperature FYI, which would appear very yellow to our eyes (we see less blue or red, which is why equal spectrum lighting appears yellow).

@oreo54 would have a lot more specifics with the science/data behind lighting.
Relative to reptiles, about vitamin D and other benefits with light. Had nothing to do with heat. Ceramic heat emitters solved that more appropriately.

I think we're saying the same thing. So long as spectrum needed is provided then corals will grow and logically closer that is to full spectrum (regardless how derived) better that is since now one is replicating natural sunlight although likely not equal in all wavelengths. Recall full spectrum was supposed to be very similar and something not yet replicated with LED since best CRI around 98 % which to me close enough for government work.

I'm trying to emphasize the fact existing lights might be more than adequate assuming spectrum tweaked and already has been mentioned by another about moving lights lower or as I mentioned on going with the narrower lens kit. Latter likely the most cost efficient based on mounting system used. The Ecotech solution fixed at 9".

How close the Pro come to replicating full spectrum I don't know although they do look very similar to MH of old that I recall. You mentioned being 6500 kelvin which makes sense.

Keep it simple unless one desires those really blue tanks. Not me. Although I've come to appreciate more blue than old MH. We retain the right to change our taste

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relative to reptiles, about vitamin D and other benefits with light. Had nothing to do with heat. Ceramic heat emitters solved that more appropriately.
Ahh, vitamin D. I believe this is produced by the UVB spectrum which is around 300nm. But this is what I mean, the UVB and IR parts of the spectrum is what the reptiles are utilizing, not so much the visible part of the light (“full spectrum”).

Keep it simple unless one desires those really blue tanks. Not me. Although I've come to appreciate more blue than old MH. We retain the right to change our taste

Yes of course - although when not viewing the tank, it would be more efficient (power to growth) to have it mostly blue. I, as you, prefer to view the tank in whiter light, but when I’m not viewing I have the schedule more blue.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back