Rabbitfish sting effect on other fish? Was my tang stung?

Nutramar

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Walked up to the tank and saw my convict tang in the back laying flat on the sand. Gills moving, eyes moving, pectoral fins moving a bit. But pretty non-responsive physically when I netted him and moved him to a safe section of the refugium. (seemed COMPLETELY normal an hour or so ago)

I have a Blue-lined/striped rabbitfish that's about 3-5 weeks new to the tank. It's been a bit shy but swims around quite a lot with the convict tang seemingly eating together.

So I have no evidence that I can find that the rabbitfish stung the tang - don't see any puncture marks. But was just wondering if anyone has seen the effects of a rabbitfish stinging another fish?

The tang is now just laying in a net in some flow in the refugium - still alive.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are likely to see a puncture or cut of some manner for there to be any reaction to the sting. My flagfin gets into it with my fox and occasionally she gets a sting. There is an obvious puncture, abrasion type wound; initially I was concerned but she seems unaffected. I was also concerned about infection but that healed up just fine without complications. Mind you all fish will react differently but you would see physical signs of a sting or grazing, their sting can sometimes be like a cut.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are likely to see a puncture or cut of some manner for there to be any reaction to the sting. My flagfin gets into it with my fox and occasionally she gets a sting. There is an obvious puncture, abrasion type wound; initially I was concerned but she seems unaffected. I was also concerned about infection but that healed up just fine without complications. Mind you all fish will react differently but you would see physical signs of a sting or grazing, their sting can sometimes be like a cut.
I would say this wasn't a sting then - I really don't see anything.

I guess he just has another issue - fish-aneurysm, fish-stroke, fish-seizure... dunno. I'll just keep watching him and see what happens.

I don't even know if there's anything to even attempt to do at this point...

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say this wasn't a sting then - I really don't see anything.

I guess he just has another issue - fish-aneurysm, fish-stroke, fish-seizure... dunno. I'll just keep watching him and see what happens.

I don't even know if there's anything to even attempt to do at this point...
Is it safe/recommended to do a freshwater dip in case it's flukes/velvet or something I can't see? Or does that risk just killing it at this point?

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back