Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CBB in my reef. I did not QT, because my QT skills are terrible and I thought it was far more likely I'd kill it there than in the tank. I'm crazy, whatever.

When I put him in, he was super skittish. He would swim around picking at rocks all day, and wiped out the sizable aipstasia population in about 6 months. I have a foxface rabbit in the tank, who latched onto him, and would follow him around, always being close to him. When I would feed (always frozen) the copperband would hide until all the food was gone, would not come out at all until the last bit was gone from the water. He wasn't afraid of me, he would swim and look at me, it was the food that terrified him, or at least the other fishes response to it?

Around the 3 month mark, he stopped fleeing from food.

Somewhere around the 5 month mark, not sure where, when the aipstasia were becoming so scarce that I couldn't see them anymore, I noticed he would pick at frozen in the water column.

Now, it's been at least 9 months, and he eats frozen with gusto. He still spends all day picking at the rocks.

I think the transition from natural rock-food to frozen takes a *long* time. I don't think you can starve them into it, like you can with many fish. I think he has bonded with the foxface, and this has helped. I also don't have anything aggresive in the tank yet, just peaceful fish, so he was never assaulted by the tang army when the food went in. This is all just a sample size of one here, but these are my feelings on how it worked for me.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish man

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Copperband for about 2 years. My research said they are the only reef compatible butterfly and I've never had any trouble with mine bothering any corals. I have a mixed reef with softies, lps and sps. HOWEVER, I was told they are not compatible with Tangs as they fight with similar shaped fish. I had a yellow tang that I bought before I found this out and traded it at my lfs for the Copperband. If anyone has them together successfully let me know 'cause I'd like to have a tang.

As others have said and what I did, watch it eat at the lfs. I quarantined mine, primarily to get it eating. They can't resist live black worms so if you have a source for them it might be good. When it was eating those well I transitioned it to mysis while still in quarantine. After I introduced it to my DT it was shy and wouldn't come out during the feeding frenzy. I would target feed it mysis in the back of the tank with a turkey baster after feeding the rest of the tank. After a few days it was right in the pack during feeding. Mine will only eat mysis and clams on the half shell that I offer it a couple times a week. I have to rubber band a screen over the clams or he'll shred them and most of it floats off in a few seconds.

It has a good personality and is very curious, or maybe just stupid. When I put my hand in the tank he comes up to it rather then swimming away. once I was using a trap to catch a different fish and I couldn't keep him out of it. :)
Aquarium 3.jpg

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JUIC3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Copperband for about 2 years. My research said they are the only reef compatible butterfly and I've never had any trouble with mine bothering any corals. I have a mixed reef with softies, lps and sps. HOWEVER, I was told they are not compatible with Tangs as they fight with similar shaped fish. I had a yellow tang that I bought before I found this out and traded it at my lfs for the Copperband. If anyone has them together successfully let me know 'cause I'd like to have a tang.

As others have said and what I did, watch it eat at the lfs. I quarantined mine, primarily to get it eating. They can't resist live black worms so if you have a source for them it might be good. When it was eating those well I transitioned it to mysis while still in quarantine. After I introduced it to my DT it was shy and wouldn't come out during the feeding frenzy. I would target feed it mysis in the back of the tank with a turkey baster after feeding the rest of the tank. After a few days it was right in the pack during feeding. Mine will only eat mysis and clams on the half shell that I offer it a couple times a week. I have to rubber band a screen over the clams or he'll shred them and most of it floats off in a few seconds.

It has a good personality and is very curious, or maybe just stupid. When I put my hand in the tank he comes up to it rather then swimming away. once I was using a trap to catch a different fish and I couldn't keep him out of it. :)View attachment 1950598
I have a “tang heavy reef” and added a copperband butterfly a month ago. He gets along with all of the tangs and has never nipped at any of my corals. Stock the tank with a healthy and diverse copepod population and it will be happy. Mine also readily eats both flake food and pellets.

mandtj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A CBB was always on our wish list too...we took the plunge just over a year ago and other than an initial couple of squabbles with our similarly sized yellow tang he's been fine. The CBB and the tang tolerate each other now...and the copperband happily chomps on a blob of Easy Reef Masstick each day now - it lasts him 2 or 3 hours and seems to be doing fine. The only downside of the Masstick is the smell when making up a batch for the freezer!

Last edited:

drblakjak55

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auriga butterfly. Avoid. I watched one eat mysis like crazy in the store. At home it ate every coral it could see. Avoided traps. Considered spearing it. Ended up taking apart the whole tank to get him.
would love a copperband

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

https://www.triton.de/en/
Back