+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am dosing 1 1/2 cups of kalkwasser a day for my 21 gallon reef tank; my Ph is where I want it to be should I stop dosing for a couple of days then test to see how much is being used or keep dosing to maintain those parameters? What I am asking is how do I know I am not over doing it with dosing? And when to start dosing again, how will I know when its time? How to I find this out with test? Testing schedule example?

World Wide Corals

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk will also affect your alkalinity and calcium levels. If all three are at acceptable levels then you have nothing to worry about. If you are only testing pH and ignoring the other two then you could be in trouble. What are your alkalinity and calcium levels?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question I have is, what if I have a amount of corals in my reef tank that is using more calcium, and alkalinity, than is in solution of kalkwasser per day? Would I have to test for this regularly and also dose calcium, and alkalinity?

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk will also affect your alkalinity and calcium levels. If all three are at acceptable levels then you have nothing to worry about. If you are only testing pH and ignoring the other two then you could be in trouble. What are your alkalinity and calcium levels?

I started by adjusting the levels with calcium chloride, soda ash, and magnesium.

The parameters in my reef tank are

Calcium 420
Alk 9
Magnesium 1300

Then adding kalkwasser to bring my Ph up to 8.3.

Corals.com

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started by adjusting the levels with calcium chloride, soda ash, and magnesium.

The parameters in my reef tank are

Calcium 420
Alk 9
Magnesium 1300

Then adding kalkwasser to bring my Ph up to 8.3.

If these are your consistent levels with dosing kalk then you are fine. Kalk never only affects pH. Chasing pH with kalk can be dangerous with little benefit, but like I said if these are your parameters while dosing kalk then you are in good shape and should continue.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am asking is how do I know how to do this calculation each time I add more corals to find out how much is being used and how to find out how much I need to add because of the amount of calcium, alkalinity, being used?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you stop dosing and take a measurement, wait 24 hours and at the exact same time the following day test again. If consumption is low then continue not dosing, wait another 24 hours and measure again. Based on consumption you determine what the needs of your tank are. Once you start dosing take daily measurements for the first week. If things are stable then you test weekly and make adjustments as necessary. Remember there is no such thing as testing too much. BRS and other groups have calculators on their website to help determine how much to dose. Adding a link.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you stop dosing and take a measurement, wait 24 hours and at the exact same time the following day test again. If consumption is low then continue not dosing, wait another 24 hours and measure again. BRS and other groups have calculators on their website to help determine how much to dose. Adding a link.

Alright. Thank you for your help!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Corals.com
Back