+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 update:

Came down during the usual feeding time to find one grazing. Added frozen to give her something to pick at. Second one was nowhere to be found so I assumed was in the sand.

An hour later, found the second peaking out of the sand. She slowly came out to investigate what was floating around in the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke too soon. The wrasse that was peaking out has been swimming erratically. Still got a lot of fight but seems to be having issues staying upright. She has taken moments to get her energy and then bursts around the tank. Parasites or swim bladder perhaps?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 3 from LA a long time ago, one DOA, one re-homed, and one I still have 2 years later. The one I have actually was having buoyancy issues when she arrived and I thought she would die. She was eating though. It was so bad she could not sleep in the sand and I had to make sure to keep flow really low and help her at night down to the rocks so she could wedge under them otherwise she would get stuck to the overflow at night.

She did eventually make a full recovery. It was sort of gradual, like her swimming got better and better. The only med I used was prazipro.

I thought I was going to lose her again when I moved apartments as she got listless and I could just scoop her out with my hand. I ended up putting her in a 25g with live rock/macro and low flow again. She went off food except ova so I kept feeding that, again she made a full recovery and began eating everything offered and into my 80g she went and has been fine since.

Low stress and get them/keep them eating.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5: Lost the one from yesterday that was swimming erratically. Still a mystery as to what caused it to pass.

Was busy this morning with family obligations (wife and I are about to have our 2nd child) but came out to look at the QT this afternoon. Looks like the lone wrasse is hiding in the sand... hopefully she will emerge in the next day or so and be fine.

Is it normal for them to bury after being in qt for several days? She was eating and swimming fine yesterday.

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very frustrated. The sole surviving leopard passed away. Same symptoms as the one yesterday. Again, it came out half way from the sand and then suddenly darted out and died.

I’ll write @LiveAquaria but not expecting anything since they lived for the 4/5 days as expert level fish.

EakTheFreak

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very frustrated. The sole surviving leopard passed away. Same symptoms as the one yesterday. Again, it came out half way from the sand and then suddenly darted out and died.

I’ll write @LiveAquaria but not expecting anything since they lived for the 4/5 days as expert level fish.

Any luck from LA? I have a shipment of 3 leopard wrasses coming in this week.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you lost them all. I tried to special order one and they all were DOA at the store that ordered them for me. My other LFS used to have leopards all the time and they have plenty of other fish but not leopards. I should ask them if they are having problems with the orders. I wonder if they are spending time in transit longer or some such with the changes covid has caused to flights.

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck from LA? I have a shipment of 3 leopard wrasses coming in this week.
The 4 I ordered from them all died within 4 days. Two were dead on arrival. The other 2 looked good for several days before mysteriously declining. They stayed in the sand through the day before peaking their heads out. Then shot out straight toward the surface and swam Erratic/upside down before lying on their sides...

If I was to do it all over, I’d medicate with half copper and slowly up it to full therapeutic dose. Threat for 30 days before water changes and getting rid of copper. Then treat with API general cure.

It’s the process I’m going through now with some flasher wrasses I picked up. I’ll try again with some leopards from a LFS at a later date.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back