Pygmy Whitespotted Filefish - who has one?

Nutramar

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rudarius ercodes is the scientific name. Not to be confused with the radial filefish from biota or aiptasia eating filefish.

I like the character of this fish, and it seems a lot of other owners do too. But despite being available from ORA at least since 2016 there is not much info I see on them anywhere. If you have one, how long have you had it and how did it behave in your tank? Any aggression? Coral nipping? What about longevity at tropical temps? I keep a very mixed reef. Everything from caulerpa to acropora. Most other filefish are "with caution" but I haven't seen anybody complain about this particular species eating anything they didn't want eaten.

pygmyfilefish.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are lovely, lovely fish that deserve a place in more builds -- especially if you keep them at sub-tropical temperatures. In terms of personality, they're only behind angelfish for me.

I currently have two: one is an Evo with a radial filefish (no conflict), and a few other fish; the second is in an IM40 cube with a red-tailed filefish (no conflict) and a few other fish. Okay, my black clingfish immediately tried to eat it as soon as I put it in the cube, but they've apparently sorted themselves out now.

I've never had this species eat anything but fish food. That makes in unlike my matted filefish, which has taken out a number of coral colonies.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had them a number of times since their release. Never nipped at coral but will bite into things to sleep. Had a pair spawning before which is cool. Seem to only live a few years for me but can’t say why, maybe because my tank gets on the warmer end in the summers. Last two times I had them, they were kind of ***** to the other fish. They basically charge to defend a spot (maybe guarding where they wanted to spawn?) but don’t actually bite the other fish. Their personality is great though… bold and checking ya out as much as you are them. They probably don’t get much attention because they are not neon colors but they can change patterns and shades.

I think I have a video somewhere if my tiny Pygmy going after my large yellow tang lol

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
damsels are not mean

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
especially if you keep them at sub-tropical temperatures.
maybe because my tank gets on the warmer end in the summers.
My tank is heaterless and usually says mid-low 70s. Might be good for them actually.

Last two times I had them, they were kind of ***** to the other fish. They basically charge to defend a spot (maybe guarding where they wanted to spawn?)
Were they a pair? I'd only be getting one. If it's a spawning territory thing then maybe I won't have that problem.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is heaterless and usually says mid-low 70s. Might be good for them actually.

Were they a pair? I'd only be getting one. If it's a spawning territory thing then maybe I won't have that problem.

Happened once with a pair and once with a single.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Budman93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread if that's alright. Really love how quirky these guys are. The ORA website says they are reef safe unlike other filefish. Anyone else have experience with them? Specifically if they have nipped corals or killed any inverts. Want to know if I should avoid anything...Going to start either a 30g or 40g AIO build and these guys seem like theyd be perfect centerpieces for it.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread if that's alright. Really love how quirky these guys are. The ORA website says they are reef safe unlike other filefish. Anyone else have experience with them? Specifically if they have nipped corals or killed any inverts. Want to know if I should avoid anything...Going to start either a 30g or 40g AIO build and these guys seem like theyd be perfect centerpieces for it.
Mine were never a problem with either corals or fish. I suppose that they might eat sexy shrimp or tiny bristleworms, but that's about it. You could probably keep a group of two or three in a tank that size.

Budman93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were never a problem with either corals or fish. I suppose that they might eat sexy shrimp or tiny bristleworms, but that's about it. You could probably keep a group of two or three in a tank that size.
Thanks for responding, yeah that could be really cool! Dont plan on having any small inverts besides hitchhikers which they could help themselves to. Were yours tank raised? How long did you have yours?

Nutramar Foods

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding, yeah that could be really cool! Dont plan on having any small inverts besides hitchhikers which they could help themselves to. Were yours tank raised? How long did you have yours?
I had mine about six months before I lost them in a contamination incident; they were biota fish. They really are lovely.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back