Purchasing live rock today. How do I structure it.

BRS

agREEFs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am purchasing live rock today. I need some help to structure it. I know you use special glue. Any ideas on how to make it look good and healthy for the fish with some holes etc.

Avast

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock is stacked without any glues or epoxies. That’s an option but, it’s better done without sand so the rocks are solidly on the bottom. Reason being…..if you place it on top of sand there’s a risk that it can become unstable if the sand shifts out from under it.

OP
OP
A

agREEFs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock is stacked without any glues or epoxies. That’s an option but, it’s better done without sand so the rocks are solidly on the bottom. Reason being…..if you place it on top of sand there’s a risk that it can become unstable if the sand shifts out from under it.
I made the mistake of putting sand first. But I will “dig” it in.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of putting sand first. But I will “dig” it in.
No problem, just like you said. Clear the sand to the side (if it’s established sand I.e. been in the tank for a few months, be careful shifting it around. You don’t wanna create a spike of bad stuff) place rock in the orientation you prefer that is stable and then backfill as needed.

OP
OP
A

agREEFs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, just like you said. Clear the sand to the side (if it’s established sand I.e. been in the tank for a few months, be careful shifting it around. You don’t wanna create a spike of bad stuff) place rock in the orientation you prefer that is stable and then backfill as needed.
Not exactly established it’s been there a week.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the following products on dry rock. Best choice I have ever made. Sculptured the rock exactly like I wanted.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stack mine...that always gives me the option of easily rearranging it if i ever decide to add more pieces or decide i want to restructure it to add more hiding places for the fish or more real estate for corals

Avast

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep it wet and experiment with stacking outside the tank first, that would be best.
Bin/Tub of saltwater with similar footprint as your tank would be ideal but maybe a long shot.
*rocks rarely stack the way you "hope" (for me anyway)

Maybe no livestock in your tank yet?
Then not as big a deal but still maybe easier.

I agree to push the sand to the sides and stack on the bottom glass without a lot of sand underneath.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone ever used this or similar. Some of our maintenance company guys swear by it.

21325EA5-154D-4E66-91B4-6A9D3489034A.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not glue everything together... if you ever need to take rock out to catch a fish or get to a pest.. it will be a huge chore or impossible.

Don't do it.

Most rock can be stacked safely or minimal gluing of 2 pieces or so here and there to bring it together. If you are planning on corals, those naturally produce swim throughs and hiding spots when they become colonies.

Good rock has tons of holes already in it for small fish like grammas, firefish, blennies, etc. These fish like crevices as small as they are.

A few bigger caves for angelfish/tangs to swim around is fine.. I wouldn't go all stonehenge with it.. it looks unnatural and isn't needed. Again, corals will fill in and create natural areas.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone ever used this or similar. Some of our maintenance company guys swear by it.

View attachment 3038343
I did years ago.. back then everyone was making a foam wall insert with the handy foam… it works really good! Just throw some sand on it while it’s wet to make it look more natural.. never saw any I’ll effects in my tank either from it..

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to make a structure with epoxy but I gave up and just stacked the rocks. Then I rearranged it a few times and now it is almost perfect.
I hope you are stacking it, in tank.

It's nearly impossible to move a structure say from a tabletop into your tank and get the same structure.

While building your structure, Think from the very bottom layer about creating caverns and through ways for fish to swim and water to flow. Build from the base layer, which is your footprint, and build vertically. Every step of the way, consider how you can orient the rocks to get the best fish habitat and flow through. As you get to the rocks that will be your viewing and mounting surface, Take that into consideration as well.

Building a scape is not a fast thing. @F i s h y and I spent probably 8 hours obsessing over the initial scape for my 300.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did years ago.. back then everyone was making a foam wall insert with the handy foam… it works really good! Just throw some sand on it while it’s wet to make it look more natural.. never saw any I’ll effects in my tank either from it..
Got it. Asking for my personal tank I will be building.

Akreefnewguy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am purchasing live rock today. I need some help to structure it. I know you use special glue. Any ideas on how to make it look good and healthy for the fish with some holes etc.
Personally I didn't use glue or puddy just staked so it can be moved. Plus the learning curve of what can be placed next to each other or what will over grow other corals. So I moved mine three times in four days. So I have rocks isolated for a small zoa center will be hammers eventually etc..

Attachments

• 20230206_102844.jpg
    20230206_102844.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230213_193203.jpg
    20230213_193203.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230203_084245.jpg
    20230203_084245.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
A

agREEFs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you are stacking it, in tank.

It's nearly impossible to move a structure say from a tabletop into your tank and get the same structure.

While building your structure, Think from the very bottom layer about creating caverns and through ways for fish to swim and water to flow. Build from the base layer, which is your footprint, and build vertically. Every step of the way, consider how you can orient the rocks to get the best fish habitat and flow through. As you get to the rocks that will be your viewing and mounting surface, Take that into consideration as well.

Building a scape is not a fast thing. @F i s h y and I spent probably 8 hours obsessing over the initial scape for my 300.
View attachment 3038359
Gotcha, thank you so much. I will be stacking in tank of course!

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back