Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, getting back into the hobby again.. Question is from the attachment , did i figure my total head height correctly at 20.5 ft? I will have a 125 DT and a 75 gallon st.(that will hold around 35 gallons) total of 160 gal. So from what I read it would be nice to have 800gph flow.. My second question is finding an external pump that is not overkill? I looked at the reeflo gold hammerhead but that seems like a waste of power to me. Also if the photo is confusing I will be running 1.5 in pvc to the Tee and then 3/4 in the rest of the way.
tank.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
master-flow-chart-LOW-SPEED.jpg

If you look at flow chart of Hammerhead it seem to be just right. Two other things: not many pumps are rated at head of 20ft or more and second, you may want to run sum other stuff using this pump, like various reactors or chiller.
Hammerhead/Barracuda has got second impeller, so you can convert it to lower or higher flow.
I had it, but it was plumbed outside as it was a bit too noisy for my liking.
BTW-Welcome to R2R!:cool:

OP
OP
J

Jndhond

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3013905
If you look at flow chart of Hammerhead it seem to be just right. Two other things: not many pumps are rated at head of 20ft or more and second, you may want to run sum other stuff using this pump, like various reactors or chiller.
Hammerhead/Barracuda has got second impeller, so you can convert it to lower or higher flow.
I had it, but it was plumbed outside as it was a bit too noisy for my liking.
BTW-Welcome to R2R!:cool:
Great point about running other things off of it. By my figures that pump will cost me about 35-40 $/month. not really liking that figure

CLICK TO VIEW

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a lot of my own research lately for my sump project, everything I read says you need 100 gph per 1 foot of vertical rise rise. So your 20 feet needs 2000 gph. Have I misunderstood about this?

Plus 10x turnover per gallon, so your 200 gallons would need 2000 gph.

Plus every 90 degree elbow needs 50-100 gph more.

You come to 800 gph, I'm over 4000 gph, one of us is very wrong lol.

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a lot of my own research lately for my sump project, everything I read says you need 100 gph per 1 foot of vertical rise rise. So your 20 feet needs 2000 gph. Have I misunderstood about this?

Jndhond wants 800gal/h end flow. There are low and high preassure pumps and their flow is decreasing with increasing head pressure. That is why you should always look at head/flow curve of particular pump.
If you look at Vectra L2 flow chart, it could barely move any water @20ft head. Vectra L2w is rated @ 3100gal/h at 0 head.

Attachments

• L2_Graph_03.jpg
    L2_Graph_03.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
J

Jndhond

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my figure was 160 gallons @ 5x turnover rate =800 gph to run through my sump. I could be totally wrong lol Thats why I am asking the experts. I have about 8k ready to spend on this build and just want to do it right the first time

Top Shelf Aquatics

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point about running other things off of it. By my figures that pump will cost me about 35-40 $/month. not really liking that figure
That were my costs too. Other option is DC controllable pump, but there are few which can pump at 20ft head, like Abyzz. We are talking about close to $3k price, but running costs would be much less. you would need to run it 7-10 years to compensate for purchase costs.I don't think it's worth it.
Can you have sump under the tank? You could have much smaller and less expensive pump than.

OP
OP
J

Jndhond

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a suggestion , dont run 3/4 all the way up.. run most of the way up big like 2 inch then go down to 3/4 at the nozzels
it will be much more flow and less work on the pump

Here is a suggestion , dont run 3/4 all the way up.. run most of the way up big like 2 inch then go down to 3/4 at the nozzels
it will be much more flow and less work on the pump
The output on the pump is 1.5 so i just figured to keep that and then when I tee it .75 + .75 + 1.5. and those are the figures that the pump chart are derived from with 1.5" output.. I really just dont have a clue but hoping with this large audience I can get some help.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a ton of math or just get an iwaki 100 pump , or the panworld 250,, ,both of those are what chemical plants use ... they last forever i have a bunch of iwakis from the 80's and 90s still

you dont need control.. if its not enough flow you add a second pump (piping stays the same) to push the water up but i bet 1 will fit the bill.. ive had basement sumps in 4 houses over the last 20 -25years same iwaki 100 pump

OP
OP
J

Jndhond

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That were my costs too. Other option is DC controllable pump, but there are few which can pump at 20ft head, like Abyzz. We are talking about close to $3k price, but running costs would be much less. you would need to run it 7-10 years to compensate for purchase costs.I don't think it's worth it.
Can you have sump under the tank? You could have much smaller and less expensive pump than.
I could but im getting older lol (45) . I just want the convivence of accessibility. I have drains, Ro and would be easy to work with. plus my basement is much cooler, hoping I dont need a chiller

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could but im getting older lol (45) . I just want the convivence of accessibility. I have drains, Ro and would be easy to work with. plus my basement is much cooler, hoping I dont need a chiller
I totally understand.I am close to medicare age. It's your decision though how much you wanna pay for convenience. I think running reeflo is not such a bad option.

Top Shelf Aquatics

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The output on the pump is 1.5 so i just figured to keep that and then when I tee it .75 + .75 + 1.5. and those are the figures that the pump chart are derived from with 1.5" output.. I really just dont have a clue but hoping with this large audience I can get some help.
you are on the right path, 1.5 is fine my point was to ditch as much of those short pieces of 3/4 inch as you can , the fluid dynamics are working for you the longer you can keep the path open more..

ive used sequence , dolphin, reeflow, they all work too, i would never pay the iron price for the abyzz.... the sequence style pumps require maintaince (seals) iwaki pumps just work forever and are made for chemicals way more corrosive than saltwater zero maintaince.

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you go with a reeflow hammerhead its overkill, its also super loud, i would go see one before buying one if you have never used one.. in the reeflo pumps you would want the baracuda .. but i would still go iwaki for for this applicaton

OP
OP
J

Jndhond

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far is the top of the water level in the sump to the return outlet in the tank?

the values for 90s etc is test a guess or is there some math in there?
I was just told to add 1 ft of head pressure for every 90 degree. As far as the the distance it will be about the same as the distance from supply line ,if i am understanding correctly

World Wide Corals

Red_Beard

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, getting back into the hobby again.. Question is from the attachment , did i figure my total head height correctly at 20.5 ft? I will have a 125 DT and a 75 gallon st.(that will hold around 35 gallons) total of 160 gal. So from what I read it would be nice to have 800gph flow.. My second question is finding an external pump that is not overkill? I looked at the reeflo gold hammerhead but that seems like a waste of power to me. Also if the photo is confusing I will be running 1.5 in pvc to the Tee and then 3/4 in the rest of the way. View attachment 3013850
No, there are 2 kinds of head. Static head, which accounts for vertical rise ONLY and not length of pipe. And Friction head, which accounts for the loss of velocity due to friction loss involving pipe inner diameter, gpm, and total length of pipe. Most of the quick dirty charts you see are static head. Looking at your diagram would that be a total rise of 11foot 8inches? Typically you can ball park those if you match the pipe to the pump output diameter and line up your static head to the chart.

OP
OP
J

Jndhond

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, there are 2 kinds of head. Static head, which accounts for vertical rise ONLY and not length of pipe. And Friction head, which accounts for the loss of velocity due to friction loss involving pipe inner diameter, gpm, and total length of pipe. Most of the quick dirty charts you see are static head. Looking at your diagram would that be a total rise of 11foot 8inches? Typically you can ball park those if you match the pipe to the pump output diameter and line up your static head to the chart.
total rise to one of the outputs would be 10ft 6inches + 20 inches=12 ft 2 inch? maybe I am not understanding?

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back