Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
total rise to one of the outputs would be 10ft 6inches + 20 inches=12 ft 2 inch? maybe I am not understanding?
Yeah, if that is what it is. Your pic said 10ft + 20 inches. Either way, that would be your head height, not 20ft.(running on 1 hour sleep, head not math good) hope that helps

OP
OP
J

Jndhond

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops you are correct I though it was 10.5 ft that being said what do recommend on flow and a pump lol..
I am just going to go with the hammerhead/barracuda gold. try it with the barracuda prop- if not enough flow switch it. unless someone has a better option or tells me it wont work.. thank you all for the feed back. I cant wait to start posting my actual build. Currently reenforcing the floor and picking up tank in 2 weeks

Top Shelf Aquatics

Red_Beard

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops you are correct I though it was 10.5 ft that being said what do recommend on flow and a pump lol..
Lol, with that much rise i cant argue what has already been proposed, those iwakis and panworlds are great pumps. Just figure your flow rate for sizing off 12 ft not 20. Although a little extra capacity never hurts

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just going to go with the hammerhead/barracuda gold. try it with the barracuda prop- if not enough flow switch it. unless someone has a better option or tells me it wont work.. thank you all for the feed back. I cant wait to start posting my actual build. Currently reenforcing the floor and picking up tank in 2 weeks
I think you will end up dialing the hammerhead/baracuda even on its slower settign back a bit with a valve or you could use the extra flow to run reactors etc

i would go iwaki 100 rlt or the 70 all day or panworld 250 or the 200 myself and not have to mess with seals

Avast
OP
OP
J

Jndhond

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, with that much rise i cant argue what has already been proposed, those iwakis and panworlds are great pumps. Just figure your flow rate for sizing off 12 ft not 20. Although a little extra capacity never hurts
Pumping water up to the aquarium is hard work. Gravity and friction inside the pipe, tubing, and valves reduce the flow rate. The higher and farther the pump has to push the water, the harder it is for the pump to move the water which ultimately slows down the flow. This resistance is called “head pressure.” The higher the lift and longer the distance, the greater the resistance to flow.

If you ultimately need a flow rate of 100 GPH and selected a pump that produces a maximum flow rate of 100 GPH, you would be very disappointed after installing it on your tank. The tubing, elbows, and head pressure would dramatically reduce the actual flow rate. You need to choose a pump that is stronger and can deliver the flow you need AFTER the head pressure is applied.

In order to calculate head pressure, use the following standard formulas to add up the vertical rise, distance, and 90° turns to come up with a head pressure number.

• Every 1 ft of vertical rise = 1 ft of head pressure
  • Every 90° elbow fitting = 1 ft of head pressure
  • Every 45° elbow fitting = 0.5 ft of head pressure
  • Every 10ft of flat horizontal distance = 1 ft of head pressure

OP
OP
J

Jndhond

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumping water up to the aquarium is hard work. Gravity and friction inside the pipe, tubing, and valves reduce the flow rate. The higher and farther the pump has to push the water, the harder it is for the pump to move the water which ultimately slows down the flow. This resistance is called “head pressure.” The higher the lift and longer the distance, the greater the resistance to flow.

If you ultimately need a flow rate of 100 GPH and selected a pump that produces a maximum flow rate of 100 GPH, you would be very disappointed after installing it on your tank. The tubing, elbows, and head pressure would dramatically reduce the actual flow rate. You need to choose a pump that is stronger and can deliver the flow you need AFTER the head pressure is applied.

In order to calculate head pressure, use the following standard formulas to add up the vertical rise, distance, and 90° turns to come up with a head pressure number.

• Every 1 ft of vertical rise = 1 ft of head pressure
  • Every 90° elbow fitting = 1 ft of head pressure
  • Every 45° elbow fitting = 0.5 ft of head pressure
  • Every 10ft of flat horizontal distance = 1 ft of head pressure
I read this of BRS so i was doing my best to calculate .

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this of BRS so i was doing my best to calculate .
yep the other factor is in a reef tank the plumbing diameter will shrink a bit as the calcification on the pipes builds up (very minimal ) its not an exact number ( it can be computed but you talking fluid dynamics and engineering grade math to get it exact and really there several proven pumps many people use for this application.

the jeboa 20000 might be ok , ive been running them for returns but not with any significant head on them
i tried one on my dual beckett skimmer and it will run it similar to an iwaki 70 but its not as good and the flow is not as consistant so i would not use it to drive big skimmers, for a return it would be an economical choice

hard to tell on how long it will last but so far ive bought 3 of them and they all are pretty amazing for the price and near silent.

Nutramar Foods

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think his total height is approx 12 feet total. plus a few 90s and drops to 3/4 nozzles
Maybe, I'm still trying to figure out the height of the water in the sump as that's what should be used iirc (not sure if there's a diff between internal and external in that regards). Might reduce total height.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Red_Beard

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, I'm still trying to figure out the height of the water in the sump as that's what should be used iirc (not sure if there's a diff between internal and external in that regards). Might reduce total height.
If we were designing an industrial circuit, yes. For sump return pump ballpark is good. Total static head (total vertical rise) plus a safty factor for elbows or whatever and hit the charts. That will get you close enough. To get exactish (factors like nozzel shape/size, pipe length, fittings, and barb fittings and as yoyo mentioned buildup over time will make this difficult) you could consult a pump flow calculator. Google has a couple easy to find. But really though sump water height 1 foot above pump does subtract a foot off static head because it measures top of water in to top of water out. But is that 1 foot going to be tge difference between this pump or that pump? Uhuo...

OP
OP
J

Jndhond

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we were designing an industrial circuit, yes. For sump return pump ballpark is good. Total static head (total vertical rise) plus a safty factor for elbows or whatever and hit the charts. That will get you close enough. To get exactish (factors like nozzel shape/size, pipe length, fittings, and barb fittings and as yoyo mentioned buildup over time will make this difficult) you could consult a pump flow calculator. Google has a couple easy to find. But really though sump water height 1 foot above pump does subtract a foot off static head because it measures top of water in to top of water out. But is that 1 foot going to be tge difference between this pump or that pump? Uhuo...
I think i am going to try the jebao DCP 15000 seems like enough power, and its only 175$

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Breeders
Back