Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm in the market for a protein skimmer for my 125 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. My stocking list is...
-Some Goby
-Royal Gramma
-Firefish
-Clownfish Pair
-Filefish Pair
-Melanurus Wrasse
-Blenny
-Blue-Throat Trigger
-Copperband
-Yellow Tang
As well as a mixed reef with soft and LPS and MAYBE some easy SPS like birdsnest but I don't intend to go up to acropora or anything.
Given my bioload and goals, what would be the best protein skimmer for this tank? I'm looking at this one in particular.
The heavy bioload being only 100 is a bit concerning but I think mine is around average for a tank of this volume? Any thoughts or experts who have recommendations?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest researching the advantages of a “recirculating” skimmer, which tend to be much easier to dial-in, for one being unaffected by fluctuations in water height in your skimmer. Other than that, There are so many choices out there it can make your head spin! lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ice Cap K series
Reef Octo
Skimz
Bubble Magnus
Nyos

I really like Ice Cap as well as Bubble Magnus

AquaCave Logo Banner
Corals.com

BrandonS

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon systems andd just ordered a Tunze 9410 DC. I have read that they are great but we will see. Hopefully as good as review makes it to be.
I had one, really enjoyed the self adjusting aspect. I however found the cup to be a little small and if you intend to plumb outside air to it you need an air pump to force the air to it. Can't use venturi effect.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright seems Reef Octopus is the way to go.
This is the one that seems to suit my tank size and it seems decently rated? Any thoughts or experience with this one? If not, then what would you recommend specifically for my bioload and tank size?

World Wide Corals

BrandonS

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright seems Reef Octopus is the way to go.
This is the one that seems to suit my tank size and it seems decently rated? Any thoughts or experience with this one? If not, then what would you recommend specifically for my bioload and tank size?
That is the skimmer I have and it works well. It's one of those just works things. I have a 150 gallon mixed reef fairly heavily stocked fish wise.

One thing I will say is this leads to the conversation of a 20 gallon is a little small of a sump on a 125 for me. I don't think that skimmer will fit in a standard 20 gallon long sump. Might be able to squeeze it in though. double check the manufacturer foot print for sure.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the skimmer I have and it works well. It's one of those just works things. I have a 150 gallon mixed reef fairly heavily stocked fish wise.

One thing I will say is this leads to the conversation of a 20 gallon is a little small of a sump on a 125 for me. I don't think that skimmer will fit in a standard 20 gallon long sump. Might be able to squeeze it in though. double check the manufacturer foot print for sure.
It's this one.
The unfortunate thing is I don't have the space for anything larger in my cabinet so this was the largest I could get. It seems the one I'm looking at might actually be too large for the skimmer section so... Huh.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-nwb150-6-pinwheel-in-sump-protein-skimmer.html Here's a smaller one and maybe it'd fit? Yeah this is kind of a struggle now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Given I may not have space in my sump for an internal skimmer, I might need to go external.
This would work for a tank of my specifications, yes? A bit costlier and I need another sicce pump for it. Wondering if I do go this route, how exactly a recirculating skimmer function. Do I just feed it with a sicce pump and place it wherever's convenient? That's only if I absolutely cannot cram the skimmer into the skimmer section of my sump.

10.875″ x 11″ is the skimmer section dimensions.
12" x 8.5" is the protein skimmer's footprint. Horizontally it seems too large but I think the footprint is due to the pump? included? Can it be adjusted slightly to make room or is it stuck in a static position?

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's also this one that saves on space and has the same skimming capacity. I'm pretty sure I can fit this one in but does the space-saving compromise on any skimming ability or is it just a direct upgrade?

Andresnyc93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the series sss on a different system and it does just as great of a job as the classic, only difference is the dialing valve is a little more sensitive to tuning but it’s just as great of a skimmer. A little taller than the classic I believe

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the series sss on a different system and it does just as great of a job as the classic, only difference is the dialing valve is a little more sensitive to tuning but it’s just as great of a skimmer. A little taller than the classic I believe
The 150SSS one looks most tempting. It's less powerful than the Classic 200 and the BRS stocking options seem a bit weird rating medium at 110 gallons but other places say this is rated up to 210 gallons or something. Regardless, with budget, space, and quality all taken into consideration, do you think this would be the best skimmer to go with given my specifications?

Andresnyc93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 150SSS one looks most tempting. It's less powerful than the Classic 200 and the BRS stocking options seem a bit weird rating medium at 110 gallons but other places say this is rated up to 210 gallons or something. Regardless, with budget, space, and quality all taken into consideration, do you think this would be the best skimmer to go with given my specifications?
Given you have limited sump space yes. Brs stocking options also always lead you to spend more money on a bigger skimmer so if it was me I’d go with that one

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back