Protein Skimmer Help!!

kingalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have came to terms I have no clue what is wrong with this protein skimmer, I’ve done a lot of research along with watching every video I can! Why does it keep overflowing? I’ve raised skimmer to possibly help, no luck there. I’ve taken the red overflow plug out, no luck there. I have to take the overflow drain out as of rn or it overflows and splashes everything. I simply cannot tune this and I don’t know why. It is a year old bought used off of eBay, it came off of a light bio load tank. I currently have it on a 125G with 3 clowns, a jewel, 2blennys, and a blue tang. Can someone please help me out here? It’s a bubble magus 5

IMG_2537.jpeg IMG_2536.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been running? New skimmers are prone to overflowing like that for as much as 2 weeks in my experience while they "break in" and get a coating of biofilm on the interior.

Assuming it's been days/weeks, I would try lowering the water level in the sump chamber, or raising the skimmer with a platform or pedestal of some sort, and see if that helps.

OP
OP
kingalee

kingalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been running? New skimmers are prone to overflowing like that for as much as 2 weeks in my experience while they "break in" and get a coating of biofilm on the interior.

Assuming it's been days/weeks, I would try lowering the water level in the sump chamber, or raising the skimmer with a platform or pedestal of some sort, and see if that helps.
In my tank it’s been a week, in the other tank was over a year, he cleaned it before sending it to me, so does that mean the break in process starts over? And I’m currently under the depth I’m between 6 and 7” the recommended was like 8-11”

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank it’s been a week, in the other tank was over a year, he cleaned it before sending it to me, so does that mean the break in process starts over? And I’m currently under the depth I’m between 6 and 7” the recommended was like 8-11”
The depth.....Was this something you decided on your own or is it a sump issue where you cannot go above 7 inches?

Rakan_ar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have came to terms I have no clue what is wrong with this protein skimmer, I’ve done a lot of research along with watching every video I can! Why does it keep overflowing? I’ve raised skimmer to possibly help, no luck there. I’ve taken the red overflow plug out, no luck there. I have to take the overflow drain out as of rn or it overflows and splashes everything. I simply cannot tune this and I don’t know why. It is a year old bought used off of eBay, it came off of a light bio load tank. I currently have it on a 125G with 3 clowns, a jewel, 2blennys, and a blue tang. Can someone please help me out here? It’s a bubble magus 5

IMG_2537.jpeg IMG_2536.jpeg
It might need to break in if harsh cleaning substance used. If not, here are couple questions might help you identifying the issue:

How old is the tank?
Has it been overflowing since you plugged it or it overflow once a day?
Have you observed anything strange when it does overflow?
Did you add/dose something before?
Was there a change in sump water level?

OP
OP
kingalee

kingalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The depth.....Was this something you decided on your own or is it a sump issue where you cannot go above 7 inches?
The sump depth is 7” max, I can find a way to raise the depth but I thought I would more of need to lower it or raise the protein skimmer so it’s not collecting more water? Or is it the opposite affect?

OP
OP
kingalee

kingalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might need to break in if harsh cleaning substance used. If not, here are couple questions might help you identifying the issue:

How old is the tank?
Has it been overflowing since you plugged it or it overflow once a day?
Have you observed anything strange when it does overflow?
Did you add/dose something before?
Was there a change in sump water level?
My tank is a little over a month old, I cycled it with ammonia and turbo 900 in a week. It’s been overflowing since I plugged it in. The only thing it does when it overflows is it’s not constant it changes throughout the day (sometimes it fills up faster than other times). I have dosed some things here and there but that seems to not change anything. I have tried to raise the protein skimmer but haven’t changed water levels. I could just raise them above the baffles if needed as I said it’s in about 7” of water and online I believe it says 8”-11” recommended.

Rakan_ar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its seems it need to break in, i recommend to remove the cover off and let it do it's thing and raise to recommended depth. It usually take more than couple of days to break in.

Check before you add/dose something whether it overflow the skimmer or not, if it does then turn off the skimmer for 30 minutes or more.

Once it break in decide whether you want wet or dry skimming to dial it, search about that to take your mind of the current situation but keep observing without intervention.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back