Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forums here and hoping to learn a lot!

I’m going to be getting back into the hobby and have decided that a 65 gallon (36” width) tank will be perfect for my situation. I have been doing a ton of research and have been trying to decide between buying and AIO or going the DIY route and creating the perfect setup. I am looking to do a fish and coral tank, and definitely want to have a sump this time around.

The pro star seems like a really great deal and looks beautiful. My only concern is that a lot of people have said the ATO and sump aren’t great, and the plumbing is cheap. I’d hate to spend the money on this AIO only to change it all out.

So my alternative option is to buy a 65G and do the drilling and plumbing myself, which I’m more than capable doing, but the downside is I can’t find a rimless tank cheap enough that makes this option more cost effective, especially when you factor in the stand and overflows etc. Plus I really would like the rimless look.

For those of you familiar with the ProStart 90, do you think it was worth it? Or did you have to change out too much stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ProStar! I love my 90, it's an excellent tank. Very high quality, easy plumbing, and cheap for a tank with the sump, stand, and plumbing included. I don't have experience with a regular 65, but the ProStar still has my vote!

1673572407526.png

Mine before filling.

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ProStar! I love my 90, it's an excellent tank. Very high quality, easy plumbing, and cheap for a tank with the sump, stand, and plumbing included. I don't have experience with a regular 65, but the ProStar still has my vote!

View attachment 2971191
Mine before filling.

View attachment 2971191
Mine before filling.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I may have seen your build thread in my research. Did you end up changing out the sump or ATO?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forums here and hoping to learn a lot!

I’m going to be getting back into the hobby and have decided that a 65 gallon (36” width) tank will be perfect for my situation. I have been doing a ton of research and have been trying to decide between buying and AIO or going the DIY route and creating the perfect setup. I am looking to do a fish and coral tank, and definitely want to have a sump this time around.

The pro star seems like a really great deal and looks beautiful. My only concern is that a lot of people have said the ATO and sump aren’t great, and the plumbing is cheap. I’d hate to spend the money on this AIO only to change it all out.

So my alternative option is to buy a 65G and do the drilling and plumbing myself, which I’m more than capable doing, but the downside is I can’t find a rimless tank cheap enough that makes this option more cost effective, especially when you factor in the stand and overflows etc. Plus I really would like the rimless look.

For those of you familiar with the ProStart 90, do you think it was worth it? Or did you have to change out too much stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Have you called around to your LFS's about Sephora tanks? Bottom has rim but top is rimless on certain models and they are generally more affordable. They have about a billion sizes but you need someone who can order from them.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I think I may have seen your build thread in my research. Did you end up changing out the sump or ATO?

I kept the sump, changed the ATO. Their ATO reservoir is only about 2 gallons, which won't last long. I just used a Tunze and a 5 gallon bucket. That lasts about a week or so when full.

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept the sump, changed the ATO. Their ATO reservoir is only about 2 gallons, which won't last long. I just used a Tunze and a 5 gallon bucket. That lasts about a week or so when full.
@Anemone_Fanatic I pulled the trigger and orderer the pro star 90. I'll be starting a build thread soon, but will for sure be looking at the equipment you are using as a starting point. Do you happen to have a photo of how you have your sump set up with the swapped out ATO?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Anemone_Fanatic I pulled the trigger and orderer the pro star 90. I'll be starting a build thread soon, but will for sure be looking at the equipment you are using as a starting point. Do you happen to have a photo of how you have your sump set up with the swapped out ATO?

Here you go. Don't be inspired by my cable management, though. Also, on the subject of cables, the plug-in board that comes with the stand will not be able to have everything going at once. It doesn't have space to plug in the skimmer and lights.

1673740721489.png

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Pro-Star tank.
Is well constructed and thick glass, aluminum stand is sturdy and fits seemless. It was half the price of others.
Don’t like the glass sump myself but would work just the same.
They provide ball valves which are hard to tune, swap those out with proper gate valves, this will make life much easier.
Mine came plumbed to the weir, but the two overflows and return were metric. I needed three metric to standard connectors to finish the connection. No big deal.
2 overflows just look like they are at the same height, but one is just a hair lower.
Mines a 230g. Have fun on your build.
2CB15443-F68A-4E29-A266-06AB04355A26.jpeg

And the sump
EB6F68E1-F3D7-479F-A179-608CABDC80F6.jpeg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Torch SALE
Back