Probiotic Reef Salt Cloudy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

RhynoNynja

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very recently decided to switch my salt to the Aquaforest Probiotic Reef salt. I used the salt last night for the first time to do a 35 gallon water change on my 120 gallon tank. The water has been cloudy all day today, even though it was crystal clear in the mixing container. I've experienced cloudiness after water changes before, but it's usually cleared in 30 minutes or less. I am just wondering what would be causing the cloudiness to last this long. Are there any other supplements I should have dosed with the water change? I read in the products guide that you should dose the Bio S, but this is an established tank that has been up and running for about 2 years now. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions?

Anirban

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The probiotic salt contains bacteria and a large water change can cause cloudiness because of increase bacterial population in the water column. Just let it be there for 24 more hours it will be fine. Dont dose any bacterial supplement or carbon source during this time.

OP
OP
RhynoNynja

RhynoNynja

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The probiotic salt contains bacteria and a large water change can cause cloudiness because of increase bacterial population in the water column. Just let it be there for 24 more hours it will be fine. Dont dose any bacterial supplement or carbon source during this time.
Thank you!

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is recommended to only do 10% water changes with the probiotic salt.

If you need to do a large water change for some reason then you can use the Reef salt. It has the same minerals and elements to it minus the bacteria. [emoji4]

OP
OP
RhynoNynja

RhynoNynja

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is recommended to only do 10% water changes with the probiotic salt.

If you need to do a large water change for some reason then you can use the Reef salt. It has the same minerals and elements to it minus the bacteria. [emoji4]
Thanks for the tip. I've always just done 30 gallon water changes on a weekly basis, I figured bigger was better.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. I've always just done 30 gallon water changes on a weekly basis, I figured bigger was better.

I too had some learning to do with the probiotic salt.

10% and your good. [emoji4]

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back