Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame hawk when I came back home from school I found him collapsed on the ground and I thought he was dead. Now, I was gonna throw him out but I realised his gills were moving. I tried to pick him up to examine him and he had kind of a spasm. I bought him yesterday and the lfs had him for a couple of days. Doing the tests right now so I’ll update with parameters. I do not have any copper. There also might not be enough aeration maybe. His gills seem to be a bit red.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
TheoneandonlyME

TheoneandonlyME

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was just laying there. I had some chores to do so I couldn’t test right away. I’m doing ttm method and matched only the salinity and temperature because I used water that I just pumped. I’m also gonna measure his bpm
image.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
TheoneandonlyME

TheoneandonlyME

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 0.25 but I was gonna transfer him to the other tank a few minutes before. It’s been running for 2 days. No tankmates, 10 gallons but only filled to the 4 gallon mark. An airstone for aeration and a normal heater that I used for extra heating on my dt but not using anymore
And tell us all about your tank. How long has it been up and running? What are the tankmates? Measurements and volume. Filtration, circulation, temperature etc.

OP
OP
TheoneandonlyME

TheoneandonlyME

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I interact with him he starts trying to swim but when I leave him he just stays there. I’ve been thinking of maybe putting him in my dt because I don’t have any fish in there and maybe it aerates better and the parameters are better if he doesn’t have any diseases. He doesn’t have any white spots or any white marks

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM doesn’t work for velvet - and it isn’t perfect for ich either.
Copper is much more effective.
Imo keep him in qt - the last thing you want is to potentially introduce a disease to the dt.
Ammonia at .25 could be an artifact of an API, but otherwise is cause for concern.
Increase aeration (try adding a hob filter) and do a water change.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
TheoneandonlyME

TheoneandonlyME

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the breathing slow/labored or rapid?
The breathing seems normal. I’m doing ttm because in Canada it’s really hard to get copper and we didn’t have time for the hassle. I’ll add a job and update

Top Shelf Aquatics

aimed

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing seems normal. I’m doing ttm because in Canada it’s really hard to get copper and we didn’t have time for the hassle. I’ll add a job and update
Idk, kind of sounds like ammonia poisoning to me. I’d dose prime to get the ammonia under control. Have to without and bio filter.

OP
OP
TheoneandonlyME

TheoneandonlyME

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk, kind of sounds like ammonia poisoning to me. I’d dose prime to get the ammonia under control. Have to without and bio filter.
I dont have any prime with me but I can put him in a bucket with new water and a filter. I changed the water in the new tank and he’s holding himself upright and swimming a bit

BRS
Nutramar Foods

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he have anywhere to hide? Was he ever eating at all for you or at the LFS?

How often are you changing tanks?

I have done (hybrid) TTM a lot... I always give the fish something to hide in. I use some plastic freshwater decor. I have a few so I can change them out and clean/dry for a few days between transfers. Being in a bare empty tank is stressful.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back