Probability of tank busting open/leaks? How to mitigate this risk?

BRS

Charlie the Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am considering upgrading to a larger (~150 gallon) tank from my 30 gallon. My biggest concern, is potential water damage that could occur from the tank leaking/cracking open. I'm wondering how often this happens to a fish tank, and how it can be prevented? I couldn't find any good threads on this particular topic...

To clarify, I am less concerned with overflow/return/sump/plumbing leaks. I am more asking about the likelihood/prevention in getting a major crack at the bottom of your DT that puts 100 gallons on your floor....

Thanks everyone

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

polyppal

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
198A2CBC-274E-4833-8E30-615B119C81D5.gif

accidents just happen

Top Shelf Aquatics

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, it doesn't happen often. It can be prevented by starting with a good quality aquarium and good quality, well-applied silicone. For peace of mind, if you're super concerned about it, you can "overbuild" the aquarium (tempered glass, full bracing, thicker than necessary glass, armored seams, etc.) and make sure that the aquarium and stand are both level with a good pad under the aquarium so there's no major pressure points under the glass for it to break from. If you want acrylic (which is less likely to crack/break, but which is more likely bow and blow out a seam - at least from a materials perspective) it's pretty much the same thing (full bracing, thicker than necessary, armored seams, etc.).

AlexG

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a high quality tank and stand that is properly leveled. A quality tank will fail without a proper stand that is leveled. I would also recommend periodic inspection of the tank seems glass or acrylic as there can be signs that something is not right. Also checking level once in a while is also not a bad idea to make sure nothing is shifting.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I just see Red Sea recommended for a tank that won’t fail?

Go with a custom made braced tank with aluminum trim. Or acrylic.

As mentioned the stand is a huge factor. Level with padding.

IMO having trim on the top is vitally important to having the seams last indefinitely.

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I just see Red Sea recommended for a tank that won’t fail?

Go with a custom made braced tank with aluminum trim. Or acrylic.

As mentioned the stand is a huge factor. Level with padding.

IMO having trim on the top is vitally important to having the seams last indefinitely.
Appreciate the thoughts!!! Will take these points into consideration!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To continue this thread... What do you guys think of plumbing some sort of emergency drain like this to the outside? Feasibility on this and practicality.... Seems to be a good peace of mind redundancy from my perspective, if you have a 150G+. (ignore the poor art skills...)
emergency drain.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
To continue this thread... What do you guys think of plumbing some sort of emergency drain like this to the outside? Feasibility on this and practicality.... Seems to be a good peace of mind redundancy from my perspective, if you have a 150G+. (ignore the poor art skills...)View attachment 2635698
Although I had one, Confidence lays in the tank and not the drain. Over 37+ years ive owned maybe 30 tanks and one leaked and likely from using tunze strong plus too close to the already aged silicone.
I always inspect and leak test tank BEFORE filling and assuring TANK and STAND are leveled - one of the biggest reasons a panel will bust out or tank leaks

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I had one, Confidence lays in the tank and not the drain. Over 37+ years ive owned maybe 30 tanks and one leaked and likely from using tunze strong plus too close to the already aged silicone.
I always inspect and leak test tank BEFORE filling and assuring TANK and STAND are leveled - one of the biggest reasons a panel will bust out or tank leaks
Thanks - great advice and info.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Montiman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic will generally last longer. From installing many tanks there are a couple things I will say.

1. Purchasing a braced tank is always better than a rimless tank for tank structure and longevity.
2. Purchasing new is always better. (You have no idea what abuse someone has put their tank through.)
3. Being careful when clean around the seals especially with blades is critical. After having a tank with seam protectors I would never go without. It gives me great peace of mind.
4. A good stand is critical the majority of the failures I have seen have come from stand issues. Stand wasn't leveled, stand warped after water damage, stand was underbuilt and sagged. Invest in a good stand and make sure it is as level and flat as possible. If you are nervous then pay someone you trust to make you a good stand and level it.
5. Have a reasonable expectation for tank lifespan. Good glass tanks can last longer than 20 years but when I have approached the 15 year mark I consider replacing the tank. The silicon doesn't last forever and after 15 years I am happy to get new panels. Acrylic lasts longer but is not immune. Acrylic degrades with UV light and we have lots of lights with UV over our tanks. I have also seen small manufacturing defects in acrylic eventually leak usually at least 15 years in. Any acrylic tank that bows seems to get worse over time. It may be fine for 5 years but not after 20.
6. Most tanks leak in the first year or after 15 years or more. If your tank has lasted 2-3 years you can rest well for the time being. Just watch as the tank ages to make sure it continues to be structurally sound.

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic will generally last longer. From installing many tanks there are a couple things I will say.

1. Purchasing a braced tank is always better than a rimless tank for tank structure and longevity.
2. Purchasing new is always better. (You have no idea what abuse someone has put their tank through.)
3. Being careful when clean around the seals especially with blades is critical. After having a tank with seam protectors I would never go without. It gives me great peace of mind.
4. A good stand is critical the majority of the failures I have seen have come from stand issues. Stand wasn't leveled, stand warped after water damage, stand was underbuilt and sagged. Invest in a good stand and make sure it is as level and flat as possible. If you are nervous then pay someone you trust to make you a good stand and level it.
5. Have a reasonable expectation for tank lifespan. Good glass tanks can last longer than 20 years but when I have approached the 15 year mark I consider replacing the tank. The silicon doesn't last forever and after 15 years I am happy to get new panels. Acrylic lasts longer but is not immune. Acrylic degrades with UV light and we have lots of lights with UV over our tanks. I have also seen small manufacturing defects in acrylic eventually leak usually at least 15 years in. Any acrylic tank that bows seems to get worse over time. It may be fine for 5 years but not after 20.
6. Most tanks leak in the first year or after 15 years or more. If your tank has lasted 2-3 years you can rest well for the time being. Just watch as the tank ages to make sure it continues to be structurally sound.
Thank you very much!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are some ideas for peace of mind:
like said many times a good tank with robust stand should not leak but hey it does happen.

1. over build go metal stand with many leveling feet.
2. seam guards would come in handy ( I think that is why we have seen a lot of RS tank failures.)
3. have a plan crap does happen have a few extra tanks around to put live stock in the stock tanks mint be good here.
4. have good water damage insurance ( maybe even say you have a 15o gal aquarium just to make sure they cover it.)

I think if you do all those things not much more you can do other than building an outbuilding for you aquariums with floors drains and all the fancy stuff a guy every could want. but then we are talking BIG $$$
most of us have or had tanks many years with no issues and when there are tank leaks we hear about it ,it's human nature to vent. does it happen yes but i think you got a lot of great advice so hopefully you can rest easy.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Buckeye
Back