Powder brown tang swiming into the flow, should I be concerned?

provia

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been in the tank for over 1 week and it was eating fine the whole time. Today I just noticed that it likes to swim into the pump head or the wavemaker. Should I be concerned about possible infections? I don't notice any signs of heavy breathing. The rest of the fish are fine.

Attached is a video of it swimming into the wavemaker.

Thanks in advance.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It has been in the tank for over 1 week and it was eating fine the whole time. Today I just noticed that it likes to swim into the pump head or the wavemaker. Should I be concerned about possible infections? I don't notice any signs of heavy breathing. The rest of the fish are fine.

Attached is a video of it swimming into the wavemaker.
View attachment 3114207

Thanks in advance.
The fish's gills are red/inflamed and the swimming into flow pattern is a sign of velvet disease which these fish are susceptible to. Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and give them a FW dip or bath and then place them into a QT with vigorous aeration provided. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication. Although many remedies contain the general name as ich or ick treatments, read the box to be sure it targets Oodinium. My choice is coppersafe or copper power at 2.25-2.5 therapuetic level at 80 degrees for a FULL 30 days monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand (no api brand). Assure the medication you use states treats Oodinum.
Other velvet signs are:
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body

OP
OP
P

provia

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish's gills are red/inflamed and the swimming into flow pattern is a sign of velvet disease which these fish are susceptible to. Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and give them a FW dip or bath and then place them into a QT with vigorous aeration provided. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication. Although many remedies contain the general name as ich or ick treatments, read the box to be sure it targets Oodinium. My choice is coppersafe or copper power at 2.25-2.5 therapuetic level at 80 degrees for a FULL 30 days monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand (no api brand). Assure the medication you use states treats Oodinum.
Other velvet signs are:
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body

Thanks for the quick reply. What's confusing to me is that I can't actually tell if the redness around the gill is coming from the natural color of the powder brown tang itself or the infection.

Its appetite was good and it was not scratching it's body against anything. There are no cysts visible on the fish yet. Everything else looks actually pretty normal except it swims against the flow this morning..

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply. What's confusing to me is that I can't actually tell if the redness around the gill is coming from the natural color of the powder brown tang itself or the infection.

Its appetite was good and it was not scratching it's body against anything. There are no cysts visible on the fish yet. Everything else looks actually pretty normal except it swims against the flow this morning..
It’s likely a gill irritation, and may even be flukes why I suggested freshwater dip- which is 5 mins , the same temperature as display tank

OP
OP
P

provia

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely a gill irritation, and may even be flukes why I suggested freshwater dip- which is 5 mins , the same temperature as display tank

Just did my first freshwater dipping, man it was painful to watch the fish not feeling comfortable in the fresh water :(.

OP
OP
P

provia

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dropped one pallet into the QT, where the powder brown tang is currently residing. And the fish ate it the moment it saw the pallet. Maybe I'm overreacting a bit much about its behavior?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgot to mention that nothing seemed to come off from the fish

If it is velvet, you won't see anything come off the fish after a dip. I agree the gills look inflamed, but the fish is also pale and that can show more clearly in those fish. Surfing into a current is a sign of velvet, but I didn't see too much rapid breathing as well (tough to see clearly in the video though). Also, fish with velvet stop eating.

The big disease with this species is white spot/ich, so watch closely for that. Feed the fish small amounts, multiple times a day, including a variety of food and plant material, its a bit thing.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just dropped one pallet into the QT, where the powder brown tang is currently residing. And the fish ate it the moment it saw the pallet. Maybe I'm overreacting a bit much about its behavior?
Maybe, maybe not in over-reacting. Assure its provided a healthy diet high in protein and omega 3. Some good foods for this fish are:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you give some more information? Did you QT the fish (how?), how are the other fish? I'm assuming the fish was added a week ago? what are the other fish in your tank? IMHO - if velvet - eating may continue until the fish is quite a bit sicker

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back