Potter's angelfish with a regal angelfish?

jjwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm building a new setup soon with plenty of hiding places, 230 gallons, 6 feet long. I have a regal angelfish I'll be transferring from my current tank to my new one that's about 2.5 inches (captive bred) and I've been entertaining the idea of getting a potter's angel (captive bred), about 1 inch, as well. I know angels generally don't go well together but with the upgrade in tank and potentially introducing the potter's angel first for a couple days/weeks (since it's smaller), how likely is it my regal won't harass the new potter's?

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have experience with that particular pair, but I've seen others do just fine with a dwarf angelfish and non dwarf. I know you can mix Centropyge and Genicanthus, I'm not 100% sure about Pomacanthus but I would suspect they'd be ok together in a tank that large. If you can't find information about those specifics cohabitating together you may have some luck finding information about their genera being kept together for a better hint.

My understanding is that you shouldn't mix dwarf angels as a blanket statement. I don't believe the blanket statement is that you can't mix all angels.

OP
OP
J

jjwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with that particular pair, but I've seen others do just fine with a dwarf angelfish and non dwarf. I know you can mix Centropyge and Genicanthus, I'm not 100% sure about Pomacanthus but I would suspect they'd be ok together in a tank that large. If you can't find information about those specifics cohabitating together you may have some luck finding information about their genera being kept together for a better hint.

My understanding is that you shouldn't mix dwarf angels as a blanket statement. I don't believe the blanket statement is that you can't mix all angels.
Appreciate the input! Sounds like I could be ok based on that then. I’ve also heard issues with mixing dwarf angels and wondering if my regal would be thought of as a dwarf to a potter’s since it’s still growing.

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think its a size thing its a cospecies thing. Regal isn't in the family Centropyge but you're correct. We can come up with general rules as to what fish goes first, what is aggressive to what, but its the fish themselves that decides what's competition to them. I don't think you'd be negligent in adding both fish expecting them to behave but your experience may differ. I've seen tanks with regals and flame angels that to my knowledge behaved well together.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously doubt you would have any issues. That’s a decent sized tank and neither of those 2 angels has a reputation of being problematic when it comes to aggression.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm building a new setup soon with plenty of hiding places, 230 gallons, 6 feet long. I have a regal angelfish I'll be transferring from my current tank to my new one that's about 2.5 inches (captive bred) and I've been entertaining the idea of getting a potter's angel (captive bred), about 1 inch, as well. I know angels generally don't go well together but with the upgrade in tank and potentially introducing the potter's angel first for a couple days/weeks (since it's smaller), how likely is it my regal won't harass the new potter's?
My last regal was mean as heck my french angel when I put him in (when he got bigger he harassed her which I think was part of why I lost her on top of a tank transfer stress). But she never messed with my dwarf angels

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi All,

Your going to spend $900 or more on a $80-100 fish?

The only place I know of for CB potters is biota, and it’s $900

If you have a better source please let me know. I’ve had one of these before the ban and got it from my lfs for 80$. I’d love another but can’t spend 900 on a fish

I think your tank is large enough to house both comfortably but I wouldn’t push luck and add more

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back