+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon All,

I know certain Pygmy Angels are hyper-sensitive to copper. Just wondering if Potter’s made that list? Or anyone’s personal experience with QT’ing?

I have CP and Cupramine on hand. Either better suited? Picking up one today, gunna start dosing in the next week or so.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon All,

I know certain Pygmy Angels are hyper-sensitive to copper. Just wondering if posters made that list? Or anyone’s personal experience with QT’ing Potters?

I have CP and Cupramine on hand. Either better suited? Picking up one today, gunna start dosing in the next week or so.

Centropyge angels are sensitive to ionic copper. Copper/citric acid is the most toxic to them, but Cupramine also has some reported issues. Amine-based chelated copper products are much safer - Coppersafe or Copper Power are what I recommend. Chloroquine is not without its own risks. I would not dose it higher than 12 ppm and monitor the ammonia level after treatment. Then, it has also been difficult to source chloroquine lately.

As a side note - I didn't know any Potter's angels were in the trade right now, with Hawaii closed to all collecting. I think they range to Johnston Atoll, but I didn't know anyone was collecting there....and then, they would have to pass through Hawaii and I didn't know that was allowed either. I know some were captive raised back in 2016, but I thought that was a "one off".

Jay

OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centropyge angels are sensitive to ionic copper. Copper/citric acid is the most toxic to them, but Cupramine also has some reported issues. Amine-based chelated copper products are much safer - Coppersafe or Copper Power are what I recommend. Chloroquine is not without its own risks. I would not dose it higher than 12 ppm and monitor the ammonia level after treatment. Then, it has also been difficult to source chloroquine lately.

As a side note - I didn't know any Potter's angels were in the trade right now, with Hawaii closed to all collecting. I think they range to Johnston Atoll, but I didn't know anyone was collecting there....and then, they would have to pass through Hawaii and I didn't know that was allowed either. I know some were captive raised back in 2016, but I thought that was a "one off".

Jay

They’re not. Local guy breaking down his tank, was just quick on the draw PM’ing him.

I meant CP = Copper Power. I haven’t used Chloroquine in so long I forgot it was the preferred acronym.

Never known a way to measure Chloroquine once it’s dosed, so I’ve pretty well abandoned it. Is there a way? I have some in my “Random bin” I could dig out.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this potter’s has been a healthy fish in his tank, for the past 2 years I would presume, why would you subject it to copper? Put it in an observation tank for 4-8 weeks. These are hard enough to keep thriving and sounds like this is a good one. Or does this have ich that you can see?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not. Local guy breaking down his tank, was just quick on the draw PM’ing him.

I meant CP = Copper Power. I haven’t used Chloroquine in so long I forgot it was the preferred acronym.

Never known a way to measure Chloroquine once it’s dosed, so I’ve pretty well abandoned it. Is there a way? I have some in my “Random bin” I could dig out.

I see - yes, Copper Power is o.k. on Centropyge, you just need a good test kit (Hanna Checker HR is the best) to be sure that you hit the target dosage of 2 to 2.5 ppm

With it being a long term captive, that *could* reduce the risk for quarantine, but there is still the risk that the Potter's has "been with" every other fish this person put in their tank, and what if they had added some sketchy fish in the past few months? Unlikely since they are taking the tank down, but you'll want to ask. Then, you might be able to get away with an observational, 45 day isolation period.

Jay

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see - yes, Copper Power is o.k. on Centropyge, you just need a good test kit (Hanna Checker HR is the best) to be sure that you hit the target dosage of 2 to 2.5 ppm

With it being a long term captive, that *could* reduce the risk for quarantine, but there is still the risk that the Potter's has "been with" every other fish this person put in their tank, and what if they had added some sketchy fish in the past few months? Unlikely since they are taking the tank down, but you'll want to ask. Then, you might be able to get away with an observational, 45 day isolation period.

Jay
I agree. Nothing goes into my display without sitting in my observation tank for at least 8 weeks. But my fish usually sit at the LFS for a month before I take them home. Not 100% risk free but I’m ok with it. I do hit them with prazi though.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this potter’s has been a healthy fish in his tank, for the past 2 years I would presume, why would you subject it to copper? Put it in an observation tank for 4-8 weeks. These are hard enough to keep thriving and sounds like this is a good one. Or does this have ich that you can see?

Jay

Tcook - I lost enough the last time I trusted someone’s “well established” fish, will never happen again.

Jay - Hannah is in the mix. Appreciate the info

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tcook - I lost enough the last time I trusted someone’s “well established” fish, will never happen again.

Jay - Hannah is in the mix. Appreciate the info
It get it. Been there. The whole fallow QT process is not fun.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back