Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't quarantine a recent introduction (I know! I need to do it) and I noticed that the fish had a white dust and a few white spots on him. I immediately took him out of my DT but he was in there for a few hours. So heres the question: How long does it take to introduce a disease into the tank? I'm not sure if what I am seeing is truly velvet or ICH but now I'm vey worried. Advice?

Avast

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Velvet or Ich you have already introduced it. At this time it would be best to try and get pictures under White light of the infected fish and post along with description of what you are seeing and what the fish is doing. If Velvet it moves fast if Ich you have more time. But one thing I would do fore sure is keep a close eye on Display really looking for signs of this on other fish.
What size tank
How many fish
Is it Reef or FOWLR

AS
OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Velvet or Ich you have already introduced it. At this time it would be best to try and get pictures under White light of the infected fish and post along with description of what you are seeing and what the fish is doing. If Velvet it moves fast if Ich you have more time. But one thing I would do fore sure is keep a close eye on Display really looking for signs of this on other fish.
What size tank
How many fish
Is it Reef or FOWLR
NOT what I wanted to hear but what I was afraid of.
130 Gallon Mixed Reef

8 Fish:
Emerald Blue Tang
Gramma
Clown Trigger
3 Frostbite Clown Fish
Cardinal
Foxface

Whole bunch of snails and Crabs

This is not going to be good. :(

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to here that. Was it sick for a while or did this happen very fast. If this happened fast it could be Velvet as that does kill fast and you really need to be watching your other fish.
Do you have a QT tank set up and do you have Cooper safe or Copper power.
Not trying to scare you but if it is Velvet you will have very little time to react so if you are prepared you will be way better off.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to here that. Was it sick for a while or did this happen very fast. If this happened fast it could be Velvet as that does kill fast and you really need to be watching your other fish.
Do you have a QT tank set up and do you have Cooper safe or Copper power.
Not trying to scare you but if it is Velvet you will have very little time to react so if you are prepared you will be way better off.
I JUST bought the fish today at my LFS. Flame Hawkfish. Didn't notice the possible disease until after I acclimated him and then popped him into the tank. Finished up the maintenance I was doing and then noticed the possible white dots. Pulled him out but he was already in there for a couple of hours. I put him in a makeshift QT, but he didnt make it.

I'll keep an eye on the others. The Foxface is acting kind of strange now so I'm scared the ship is going DOWN.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I JUST bought the fish today at my LFS. Flame Hawkfish. Didn't notice the possible disease until after I acclimated him and then popped him into the tank. Finished up the maintenance I was doing and then noticed the possible white dots. Pulled him out but he was already in there for a couple of hours. I put him in a makeshift QT, but he didnt make it.

I'll keep an eye on the others. The Foxface is acting kind of strange now so I'm scared the ship is going DOWN.

Sorry to hear. However, I wonder if there are multiple things going on? A reputable LFS isn't going to sell you a fish that is that close to death. It may well have been harboring some disease, but for its acute death, I would suspect an issue with salinity rise, or a long transport from the LFS, something like that.

Anyway, we need to focus on the foxface. How is it acting strange? Do you have any sort of treatment tank you can set up?

Jay

OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. However, I wonder if there are multiple things going on? A reputable LFS isn't going to sell you a fish that is that close to death. It may well have been harboring some disease, but for its acute death, I would suspect an issue with salinity rise, or a long transport from the LFS, something like that.

Anyway, we need to focus on the foxface. How is it acting strange? Do you have any sort of treatment tank you can set up?

Jay
Hi Jay! thank you for your response. All the fish seem to be OK! The foxface has bounced back and all the fish are healthy, eating and active. So far it looks like I dogged a bullet and have learned a lesson. QT those fish!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
LA
Back