Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
POM POM small and peaceful. These crabs are pretty small, never growing more than an inch. This means that they are suitable for nano tanks or smaller tanks. Feed meaty foods to them daily
Agreed.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this makes me want to get a pistol for my monster goby, but he's so tiny that the shrimp might as well be Clint with a .44Mag.
Make sure you get a pistol that pairs. Thankfully mine came paired because I didn't read about the non pairing pistols until after I got them. Also, try to find a pistol that is small. Another member here mentioned their pistol (who was most likely older and larger) killed the baby goby they added but maybe it's different if you add the shrimp (no matter the size) second. Hopefully someone with more experience with adding a new pistol or shrimp can provide info on this.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pom Pom Crab came today...

Without poms. :(

Pom Pom Crab without Anemones.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pom Pom Crab came today...

Without poms. :(

View attachment 2370885
Oh no. Can you contact the seller? That's not cool to sell you one with no poms without at least contacting you first to see if that's OK. They're still super cute without them but it's their poms that make them super super cute!! I would definitely contact the seller. Maybe they'll send you another one for free and that one can give one of its poms to this guy.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. Can you contact the seller? That's not cool to sell you one with no poms without at least contacting you first to see if that's OK. They're still super cute without them but it's their poms that make them super super cute!! I would definitely contact the seller. Maybe they'll send you another one for free and that one can give one of its poms to this guy.
I emailed them with photos right away. They also sent a DOA emerald, and another that's practically dead. :/ I'm super bummed and hope they'll make it right.

Wyvern

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed them with photos right away. They also sent a DOA emerald, and another that's practically dead. :/ I'm super bummed and hope they'll make it right.
If they give you ****, tell them each pom is an animal so 2 DOA/MIA, and a pompom crab without poms is just a crab, so that's misrepresentation.

Nutramar Foods

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they give you ****, tell them each pom is an animal so 2 DOA/MIA, and a pompom crab without poms is just a crab, so that's misrepresentation.
I'll try that. Lol. If that doesn't work, I'll send you after 'em — they're in your neck of the woods. ;)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a good point! I also don't know how well these guys do without poms. The stress of not having them might be enough to cause their demise. :-(

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a good point! I also don't know how well these guys do without poms. The stress of not having them might be enough to cause their demise. :-(
He just got back to me and said I can MAIL IT BACK for a full refund. I saw the poor little guy on the edge of my tank for a few, and he has since vanished. Yeah, I'm gonna tear my tank apart, maybe find him, and pay for postage to Florida to get my $18 back. :rolleyes:

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, this is even worse than just a pom with no poms!! I hope they make it right! Just like @Wyvern said it's misrepresentation. If they don't make it right be sure to let us know who they are so we can avoid using them in future. So sorry this has happened to you!

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, this is even worse than just a pom with no poms!! I hope they make it right! Just like @Wyvern said it's misrepresentation. If they don't make it right be sure to let us know who they are so we can avoid using them in future. So sorry this has happened to you!
The other emerald is still alive, but came either injured or deformed. He can't use most of his legs. I chucked him in QT where I currently have a few rocks and he has only managed to butt-scoot to the shade of one of the rocks. I chucked a couple of pellets of food next to him to see if he could be motivated to get up, and he tried weakly several times and just couldn't do it. It feels wrong to even have him suffering like this, knowing he'll starve to death. I don't know what to do with him.

I bought a $70 CUC package from reefcleaners.org, which included the emeralds, and he refunded $10, then blamed me for not upgrading shipping (it came in two days) because more than half the snails are dead, too.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just got back to me and said I can MAIL IT BACK for a full refund. I saw the poor little guy on the edge of my tank for a few, and he has since vanished. Yeah, I'm gonna tear my tank apart, maybe find him, and pay for postage to Florida to get my $18 back. :rolleyes:
I think you should post who this seller/vendor is. I think everyone in this community would like to avoid buying from them in future! That is ridiculous that they want you to mail them back! I have to say $18 sounds way too inexpensive for that kind of order. Are things that cheap down there? I'm in Canada so things are more expensive regardless but $18 seems too good to be true. I paid about $30 (or maybe it was $40) for my pom from my LFS.

Top Shelf Aquatics

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should post who this seller/vendor is. I think everyone in this community would like to avoid buying from them in future! That is ridiculous that they want you to mail them back! I have to say $18 sounds way too inexpensive for that kind of order. Are things that cheap down there? I'm in Canada so things are more expensive regardless but $18 seems too good to be true. I paid about $30 (or maybe it was $40) for my pom from my LFS.
I posted in the reply above -- it was reefcleaners.org. :( I actually found out about them reading someone else's post on here (can't remember the user, but I think they have Che Guevara as their profile pic). I don't have a decent LFS near me (I'm in Utah), so I get nearly everything online. I am so disappointed in this order and pretty much threw $110 in the garbage. I would gladly pay twice the cost to get healthy creatures. Ugh.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted in the reply above -- it was reefcleaners.org. :( I actually found out about them reading someone else's post on here (can't remember the user, but I think they have Che Guevara as their profile pic). I don't have a decent LFS near me (I'm in Utah), so I get nearly everything online. I am so disappointed in this order and pretty much threw $110 in the garbage. I would gladly pay twice the cost to get healthy creatures. Ugh.
These guys. Ugh.

Avast

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s so sad! Hope you get a refund. :(

Will the poor crabs Pom poms grow back?
The pom poms are actually tiny anemones that it uses to catch food in the water column. I think @Karen00 is right — he probably can't survive without them.

Wyvern

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had good luck with some hermits and porcelain crabs from them, but I live in the same state.

I honestly think standard shipping SHOULD NOT be available for live things, I don't care if they cost .30c or $3000.

Having you send them back is a death sentence, what do they want with a dead crab?

James_O

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pom poms are actually tiny anemones that it uses to catch food in the water column. I think @Karen00 is right — he probably can't survive without them.
I never knew they were actually tiny anemones! That’s so sad though. :(

Nutramar Foods

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to target-feed the pom pom, like any other small crab. I don't think the poms are mandatory for its survival.
It's tiny and well-camouflaged, but of course I'll feed it if I can find it!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back