Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a new thread tracking the progress of the extremely rare Atavai Sunset Wrasse I ordered from @Reef Pro.

This species is very delicate so I am taking the strong measures to ensure a solid acclimation process. Pencil wrasse don't ship well so I am picking up directly from LAX to avoid issues with UPS or Fedex.

I have a well established 20 gallon Red Sea nano with 2" sand bed, plenty of pods and live rock. The tank has been running fallow for 8 months but was used for coral QT as a holding tank. I have added anything new for 4 months.

I will continue to track the progress on his arrival and acclimation on R2R. If all goes well I am excited to use @Reef Pro to source my final additions - male femininus wrasse, Claires wrasse, and finally the holy grail masked angelfish.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 9.05.23 PM.png

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a new thread tracking the progress of the extremely rare Atavai Sunset Wrasse I ordered from @Reef Pro.

This species is very delicate so I am taking the strong measures to ensure a solid acclimation process. Pencil wrasse don't ship well so I am picking up directly from LAX to avoid issues with UPS or Fedex.

I have a well established 20 gallon Red Sea nano with 2" sand bed, plenty of pods and live rock. The tank has been running fallow for 8 months but was used for coral QT as a holding tank. I have added anything new for 4 months.

I will continue to track the progress on his arrival and acclimation on R2R. If all goes well I am excited to use @Reef Pro to source my final additions - male femininus wrasse, Claires wrasse, and finally the holy grail masked angelfish.

View attachment 3023718

You’ll possibly find the max nano will stress this guy out after a few months, how long do you plan on keeping him in there for?
Also, if I remember correctly this guy isn’t QTed already in which you’ll want to look out for internal parasites the most. However considering he’s been in holding for 28-30 days you should be fine to put him into the DT (But I know not everyone wants to do this - You’ll probably find that’s the best chance you’ll have at getting him to not stress out).

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a gorgeous wrasse! Congrats! I'll definitely be tagging along.

And that's awesome that Reef Pro can source a Claire's for you. Can't wait to see that one, too.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll possibly find the max nano will stress this guy out after a few months, how long do you plan on keeping him in there for?
Also, if I remember correctly this guy isn’t QTed already in which you’ll want to look out for internal parasites the most. However considering he’s been in holding for 28-30 days you should be fine to put him into the DT (But I know not everyone wants to do this - You’ll probably find that’s the best chance you’ll have at getting him to not stress out).
4-6 weeks at most depending on how well he does in the 20 gallon. I just need to observe to ensure I am not putting my other fish at risk of disease.

CLICK TO VIEW

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-6 weeks at most depending on how well he does in the 20 gallon. I just need to observe to ensure I am not putting my other fish at risk of disease.
Totally get that!
I would personally aim for 3-4 weeks however even with his size, he could still stress so I would keep an eye on that and if he does show signs of stress, try get him into the DT.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a gorgeous wrasse! Congrats! I'll definitely be tagging along.

And that's awesome that Reef Pro can source a Claire's for you. Can't wait to see that one, too.
Thanks. Yes I'll keep you posted.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef Pro sent me another video today. Super excited, he ships tomorrow for Saturday pickup!

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer I'm in the hobby the more excitement I feel watching any saltwater fish aggressively eating lol
This is a hilarious statement. It’s soooo true.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice Earl's too!
Yeah it is! I have one in my system now and he has the best personality. Loves the camera!

LaloJ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3023718

View attachment 3023718

View attachment 3023718

Awesome and extremely rare wrasses here!

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back