Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 90 gallon tank that has 2 holes drilled for a regular durso setup. One is 2.5 inches and the other is about 2 inch diameter.

what is the correct pvc diameter to use with this size tank? Obviously the bulkheads need to match the holes. But the previous owner used a seriously fat standpipe diameter… I’ve never seen one that wide before. I think it was also 2.5” diameter. I can confirm that shortly. But is that the right diameter for a 2.5” hole? Or should it have more like 2” drain pipe that threads into the bulkhead via adapters?

my goal is to just have a normal amount of flow through the sump. Im not looking for crazy turnover since I’ll be using pumps in the display for tank flow. Quiet would be my preference (yeah, I know durso isn’t the most quiet).

thanks for any advice

Avast

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 90 gallon tank that has 2 holes drilled for a regular durso setup. One is 2.5 inches and the other is about 2 inch diameter.

what is the correct pvc diameter to use with this size tank? Obviously the bulkheads need to match the holes. But the previous owner used a seriously fat standpipe diameter… I’ve never seen one that wide before. I think it was also 2.5” diameter. I can confirm that shortly. But is that the right diameter for a 2.5” hole? Or should it have more like 2” drain pipe that threads into the bulkhead via adapters?

my goal is to just have a normal amount of flow through the sump. Im not looking for crazy turnover since I’ll be using pumps in the display for tank flow. Quiet would be my preference (yeah, I know durso isn’t the most quiet).

thanks for any advice
The 2-1/2” hole would use a bulkhead for 1-1/2” pipe, and the 2” hole would match a bulkhead for a 1-1/4” pipe.

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, so that standpipe it came with was way too wide.

if I were to convert this to a herbie by using a hang on return (if that’s even advisable), would the standpipe diameters stay the same as your recommendation?

AS
CLICK TO VIEW
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back