Plumbing question - silicone tubing

kirtdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a varios 8 pump that I want to use the barb fitting to use a short piece of silicone tubing in between the pump and the pic going to the tank. The barb that came with the pump is 1 1/4". Unfortunately, the only silicone tubing I have is 1". I have seen that you can use silicone tubing on the next size up barb but I am wondering if it is safe to do? Has anyone here done this without issue.

Thanks in advance.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the thickness, the flexibility, and the barbs being used. If it fits and doesn't need to be forced on too hard, it's probably alright (especially if you then secure with plastic hose clamps), if it looks like its barely on, deformed in any way after mounting, or under tension, then no, you probably don't want to.

You can probably pick up an adapter and a short length of tubing of appropriate size at a local hardware store.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kirtdog

kirtdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size fitting is the other end going on? If it's also 1 1/4" maybe just get a piece of 1 1/4" hose. If not then I would just get the correct size barb.
The other end is 1", I have a way to reduce it down to the 1" at the pump but it sticks up a bit higher than I would like in my new sump. If that is that safest route, I will make it work. Also, I have looked for 1 1/4 silicone tubing and have only seen 1" and 1 1/2.
Thanks for the response.

Upvote 0

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try the hose. I wanted to make sure both ends were not 1 1/4" I know that would be silly but I've see some pretty silly things done.
I've done what you want to do and it worked but as mentioned above it depends on the hose thickness. Soaking the end in some hot water first makes it easier.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kirtdog

kirtdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the thickness, the flexibility, and the barbs being used. If it fits and doesn't need to be forced on too hard, it's probably alright (especially if you then secure with plastic hose clamps), if it looks like its barely on, deformed in any way after mounting, or under tension, then no, you probably don't want to.

You can probably pick up an adapter and a short length of tubing of appropriate size at a local hardware store.
Thank you for the response. I haven't been able to find 1 1/4" tubing yet. Here is how it looks on the larger barb. I haven't pushed it on the whole way. I also have plastic hose clamps that I can put on.

Attachments

• B250FB77-D99D-4ECF-842B-AAB0B9AE5303.jpeg
    B250FB77-D99D-4ECF-842B-AAB0B9AE5303.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can find some ~30mm ID hose (about 1.2") and just make sure it's secured with a clamp on the oversized end.

Also make sure you're talking about inner diameter, not outer. The wall thickness doesn't have bearing on whether it will fit over a barb. Lots of pumps also have stepped barbs for multiple hose sizes.

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back