+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I was reading you cant use a clamp holder if pipe has a union. I dont understand why. It seems to have to do with the distance of the pipe from the clamp base when a union is on the pipe. But I dont see how my unions affect this, they dont touch the tank and so they dont push out the pipe to be any furter from the tank or stand than without the union. The center of my pipe is 1 3/8 " from the stand.
Can this clamp be used on my set up? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sm-c...D=3400&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

If the union is not an issue, there isnt much of an area for the clamp base to secure to as you might see to the left of the piping in the pic.
ALSO would I even need the clamps? my tank is 1/2" glass, the shadow overflow is secured about 17" (center of the outflow holes) from bottom of tank.

TIA

pipe.jpg

BRS

DCR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reason is that you may have to cut the clamp and replace it if you want to break the union. Either that or there is some concern about getting the piping misaligned and creating a leak at the union. I don't think it is really valid unless you do a poor job of installing the clamp. I think the only advantage to the clamp is restricting the movement and creating a leak at the bulkhead (or worse breaking the bulkhead) in case of accidentally hitting/bumping the pipe. It is not offering any real support to reduce the load on the bulkhead unless you place it under the stand on the horizontal run of pipe.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put pipe clamps on all my drains below the unions.
I used stainless screws that can be removed if I need to open the unions.
Plus these are lines coming out of my external overflow box, so it adds support for the box.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clamps used on an external overflow pipe(s) reduce any pressure applied to the external box from extra weight, especially when filled with water. The "clic" clamps you linked are great. The hole in the bottom allows mounting @ any distance via threaded rod.

BRS
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put pipe clamps on all my drains below the unions.
I used stainless screws that can be removed if I need to open the unions.
Plus these are lines coming out of my external overflow box, so it adds support for the box.
I still dont see how the union would get in the way if you clamp on the pipe. If union is above the clamp, how does that affet the clamp to pipe? If you need to disconnect pipes by union, then how is the clamp affecting that? You just release the clamp and loosen then union. (?)

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clamps used on an external overflow pipe(s) reduce any pressure applied to the external box from extra weight, especially when filled with water. The "clic" clamps you linked are great. The hole in the bottom allows mounting @ any distance via threaded rod.
i'm going to start a new thread asking how to secure the clamps to a stand that has no surface to put them on..

SPS2020

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm going to start a new thread asking how to secure the clamps to a stand that has no surface to put them on..

You would want to make a spacer out of ply or whatever that would go between the stand and the clip.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would want to make a spacer out of ply or whatever that would go between the stand and the clip.
I dont think i'd be able to get the clips.. a spacer board on which i'd secure the clamps would then give 0 space between the pipes and the actual spacer board. The space between the stand edge and the pipe is about 5/8", so any board I put over that on which I put the clamps on would jsut about touch the pipes. Wouldnt that make the clips unusable?.
How much if any space to I need from where the clips are secured to where the pipe is?

Attachments

• pipes2.jpg
    pipes2.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standoff.. great word instead of long description :). I'm thinking i will be fine without clips. the only real weight on the glass is the overflow box at most 2/3 full of water. usually 1/2 at most. The weight of 1 empty pipe (emergency 3rd pipe) and weight of one mostly emnpty back up pipe. and weight of one active peipe, which is actualy providint some support because it's hard fastened to the sump.

AquaCave Logo Banner

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still dont see how the union would get in the way if you clamp on the pipe. If union is above the clamp, how does that affet the clamp to pipe? If you need to disconnect pipes by union, then how is the clamp affecting that? You just release the clamp and loosen then union. (?)
It depends on what type of pipe clamp you use. Not all are the same.
I used ones with zero clearance.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you link which that is? I'm thinking it's similar to what you have above is that its' the metal ones? which is fine
The ones I used are just the plastic c-clamps that screw into wood.
The position of the drain lines matched up with the back of my stand.
Here is a picture during my 240 build. At this point I only had the drains clamped down.
Later in the build I used wood to support and clamp down the others.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I used are just the plastic c-clamps that screw into wood.
The position of the drain lines matched up with the back of my stand.
Here is a picture during my 240 build. At this point I only had the drains clamped down.
Later in the build I used wood to support and clamp down the others.

Thinking about it, A vertical oriented support doesnt sound like much support when the piping is parrallel to the grip. TO be a real support, the clamp would have to oriented onto a horizontal pipe.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about it, A vertical oriented support doesnt sound like much support when the piping is parrallel to the grip. TO be a real support, the clamp would have to oriented onto a horizontal pipe.
If it stops the weight at that point it works.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it fully? or does it slowly push through?
Not if it is tight.
Each pipe/conduit size has that is meant to go with that size and it holds it tight.
I've seen thousands upon thousands of pipes and conduits supported in that manner.
Not all pipe and electrical conduit can be supported only on the horizontal runs, so a system was invented to support in this manner.
The weight from the overflow box is only 7-8 lbs ( wild guess, I haven't weighed it) so the support needed really isn't that much.

bblumberg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that situation, that particular clamp may not work as it needs about 18-19mm of standoff.

View attachment 3078210
Use an appropriately sized block behind the clamp and a longer screw. Or screw the block separately to the support and the hanger to the block. Works great.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Chemi-pure.com - All-In-One Aquarium Filtration
Back