View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1682192324980.png

Pink Sponge? Good? Bad?

It's been exposed to air several times but seems to remain alive. Anyone have any tips for removal? Would a good dip in a coral dip do it?

Thanks!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
View attachment 3120384

Pink Sponge? Good? Bad?

It's been exposed to air several times but seems to remain alive. Anyone have any tips for removal? Would a good dip in a coral dip do it?

Thanks!
This is a wild poriferan type sponge which filter feeds off bacteria and detritus that it filters from the water column and can be invasive. Best removal is using a dental pick or small crochet needle and gently pull off or inject via syringe with vinegar

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good/bad depends on where it is and if it's bothering your coral.; in this case, it is. You can use H2O2 to kill the sponge.
Yeah I figured as such. I just wanted to make sure others thought it was a sponge too and something else I should be concerned over. I'll probably use some peroxide along with manual removal. Thanks!

Best removal is using a dental pick or small crochet needle and gently pull off or inject via syringe with vinegar
Dental pick is a good idea! I've got some small pointed hemostats that I'll use first and then probably finish it up with some H2O2 just in case any part of it remains.

Thanks all! Just wanted some assurance that it was a sponge since I have not seen a pink one before!

AS
OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly when most sponges hit air they die right?
Yeah like @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal said, I exposed all my rocks when I did my upgrade and it didn’t seem to instantly kill them. At least if they died, they are still hanging on. Not sure how long of exposure to air and also not sure how to know if they are dead lol I was hoping after exposing to air they were all going to fall off but this did not happen.

OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Thought it was something to do with coraline (new to hobby so still a noob lol), until I saw actual coraline growing elsewhere
Yeah that looks like the same species as mine. They have like little spicules on them. Sponges are just filter feeders, no harm unless they are eating up all your dissolved nutrients or start to smother a coral. Other than that they add diversity to the tank and people usually remove them because they are unsightly to them.

KyleC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that looks like the same species as mine. They have like little spicules on them. Sponges are just filter feeders, no harm unless they are eating up all your dissolved nutrients or start to smother a coral. Other than that they add diversity to the tank and people usually remove them because they are unsightly to them.
I care more for diversity than I do aesthetics... as long as everything is healthy and thriving I'm happy :) I've recently started doing all for reef and do regular water changes.. so should be good.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink tunicate colony. I have one that lives on the skeleton of my green torch. Kinda comes and goes. The cleaner my tank is, the more of it there is. Never picks effect it's polyps. But I wonder if it does effect skeletal growth.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Inkbird
Back