Review score
+1 /0 /-1
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-1
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pincushion urchin in my tank for a few weeks and he has been a great addition. This last week he started crawling all over coral frags I have been adding to the tank. It looked like he was eating the algae off of the frag disks so I did not worry.

This past weekend I added a toadstool and acan. The urchin immediately crawled on the acan for most of the day. When he crawled off it looked like there was some white stuff on the acan with marks in it like the urchin was scraping at it. The urchin crawled onto the toadstool yesterday and this morning when he crawled off the toadstool had shrunk up and my wife swears it looks chewed on.

Before I added the urchin I read up on it and they are supposed to be reef safe. I have started feeding the urchin algae chips to keep him from looking for food elsewhere. Has anyone heard of a pincushion urchin eating coral? I will post some pictures when I get home.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Top Shelf Aquatics

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pincushion urchin in my tank for a few weeks and he has been a great addition. This last week he started crawling all over coral frags I have been adding to the tank. It looked like he was eating the algae off of the frag disks so I did not worry.

This past weekend I added a toadstool and acan. The urchin immediately crawled on the acan for most of the day. When he crawled off it looked like there was some white stuff on the acan with marks in it like the urchin was scraping at it. The urchin crawled onto the toadstool yesterday and this morning when he crawled off the toadstool had shrunk up and my wife swears it looks chewed on.

Before I added the urchin I read up on it and they are supposed to be reef safe. I have started feeding the urchin algae chips to keep him from looking for food elsewhere. Has anyone heard of a pincushion urchin eating coral? I will post some pictures when I get home.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Tuxedos are safe. Everything else ... is dicey.

A picture of what you have would be helpful.

AS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back