+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a new pico tank (2 gallons) still cycling right now. However, I used Marco rock, and I really want that coralline algae look in my tank. Would it be a bad idea just to get some Purple Helix to put in my tank? I know I could go to my LFS but I really don't have one close by.

Thoughts?
IMG_0932 Medium.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

fishski13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you can, but its not a process that takes a couple days, I dosed a whole bottle into a 10 gallon cause I got it for free plus I have added multiple frags with coralline already on them and its been about 10 months and I am only now getting sections 2-3 inches across in most areas.

if you dont want to get it cause of the price, getting a frag plug with coralline on it will spread just as fast as the bottled stuff.

Fishineer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the Purple Helix stuff is good for a new tank. I agree with getting a frag plug that already has some coralline on it. I think with new tanks it just a waiting game no matter what. Maybe after the first 6 moths to a year the Purple Helix stuff works...

Corals.com

razorskiss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used purple helix when starting my 25 gallon with dry rock and live sand and saw dozens of not hundreds of 2-3 mm spots of coralline all over my tank in 6 weeks. I did add some frags at week 4 with coralline on them, but I doubt that contributed much in just 2 weeks. I have been testing parameters religiously (nutrients every 2-3 days at start, now weekly along with ca / alk / mg) and started dosing all for reef once I could measure consumption (about 1 mL / day is enough to maintain levels as stable as the precision of my salifert kits) so the stability and high-ish alk salt I use (TM classic) might have contributed to rapid growth. I'd also added AF life source to the tank twice in that period.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back