Phytoplankton, the reef’s super power!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In reference to one taking over the other, IMO this is more about culturing/maintaining and not storing. They do not eat one another to my knowledge, but they out consume one another. Such that nanno will consume the nutrients in a culture more rapidly and thus a more fragile strain like ISO will not preform equally. Another issue as such, it that the nanno will effectively block the light as it is darker.

In the fridge, the cooler temperature and mostly being kept in the dark inhibits the further growth of the culture to an extent, but it “revives” when introduced into the aquarium where it comes up to a normal temperature range and sufficient light. Then it begins photosynthesis again allowing it to reproduce and consume nutrients prior to being consumed.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In reference to one taking over the other, IMO this is more about culturing/maintaining and not storing. They do not eat one another to my knowledge, but they out consume one another. Such that nanno will consume the nutrients in a culture more rapidly and thus a more fragile strain like ISO will not preform equally. Another issue as such, it that the nanno will effectively block the light as it is darker.

In the fridge, the cooler temperature and mostly being kept in the dark inhibits the further growth of the culture to an extent, but it “revives” when introduced into the aquarium where it comes up to a normal temperature range and sufficient light. Then it begins photosynthesis again allowing it to reproduce and consume nutrients prior to being consumed.

Thanks! That makes sense. So, I am dosing just over 1oz per day now between tanks, so a 16oz bottle last me almost exactly 2 weeks. So, rather than buying 16oz every other week, you think I'd be fine getting a 32oz bottle monthly?

Granted... This is all based on dosing 1ml/gallon, but I've been on a phyto deep dive lately and feel like I am probably not dosing enough. The same would hold true even if I double the amount I dose, though. The bottles would just be bigger. :D

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks! That makes sense. So, I am dosing just over 1oz per day now between tanks, so a 16oz bottle last me almost exactly 2 weeks. So, rather than buying 16oz every other week, you think I'd be fine getting a 32oz bottle monthly?

Granted... This is all based on dosing 1ml/gallon, but I've been on a phyto deep dive lately and feel like I am probably not dosing enough. The same would hold true even if I double the amount I dose, though. The bottles would just be bigger. :D
Yes, that is what I would do, just because it is cheaper to buy a larger bottle less often, at least from us. Just try to keep it to less than 6 weeks supply in my personal opinion. It will last longer, I just like it fresher.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
One last question... How much more "potent" is the Extreme blend? Is it twice as concentrated? i.e. If I'm doing 2ml/g of the regular blend, would I get the same concentration with half as much of the "Extreme" (1ml/g)? Does the "Extreme" store as well and as long as the regular?

Sorry for all the questions. I recently switched over to your products (Very happy so far!) and I'm just trying to zero in on what I need to buy, and how frequently. ;)

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
One last question... How much more "potent" is the Extreme blend? Is it twice as concentrated? i.e. If I'm doing 2ml/g of the regular blend, would I get the same concentration with half as much of the "Extreme" (1ml/g)? Does the "Extreme" store as well and as long as the regular?

Sorry for all the questions. I recently switched over to your products (Very happy so far!) and I'm just trying to zero in on what I need to buy, and how frequently. ;)
Our new extreme is roughly twice as dense as our original. Have to say roughly as there is some light coloration left in the water we remove, but very little. We produce 5 gallons from 10 gallons, removing the 5 gallons only from the strains that really settle out. This way what we remove is very very little of the actual plankton cells.

Because if the lesser storage time I recommend I can confidently affirm that the extreme will be fine for that 4-6 week period. And yes, you should be able to get very similar results dosing 1/2 the amount of the extreme product.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back