pH rising, I'm a newbie. Am I doing ok? Need some reassurance/guidance.

dnprall

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer XL 200 (42 gallon display, 9 gallon sump). This was set up early December 2022 by my LFS. I have a skimmer

I currently have two clown fish, one watchman goby with a tiger pistol shrimp, one scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, one turbo snail, one tiger conch, bunch of hermit crabs and snails, one torch, one frogspawn, one hammer, bunch of GSP and several zoas (3 peppermint shrimp are coming tomorrow). Currently battling cyanobacteria, little bit of green hair algae, and some aiptasia. Everyone seems happy at this point.

Please see attached file. My pH has been elevated over the last few testing days but I really don't know why. I dose NeoNitro, NeoPhos, and All-for-Reef as you can see.

The corals seem to be ok and they are open unless a hermit crab or the cleaner shrimp is walking on them.

Am I doing the right things? Should I test less often at this point? I know the phos may be a little low but I'm nervous about overshooting. Do I even need to do anything about the pH? (I am going to try to get a different pH kit tomorrow and/or more pH reagent but my nearest LFS is 45 minutes away)

I understand that this is a long term hobby but I don't know at what point do I "relax" a little with the testing, dosing, etc. I am going to start feeding the coral with some Benepets Reef Food.

Do my water parameters seem ok? There is so much information on this website and learning about this stuff seems like drinking from a firehose.

Thanks for any input/constructive criticism, etc.
Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 7.17.14 PM.png

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks OK to me. I would not worry about the pH reading as it is probably not accurate. I don't see anything that would cause elevated pH readings in your dosing, so the reading is probably not accurate.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
D

dnprall

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the pH over 8.6 is likely accurate in nearly any tank not dosing high pH additives.
Thanks. I didn't think so either so was trying to think what can cause an elevated pH and my ammonia is nil.

Just needed someone smarter than me to look at things.

I'm going to try to get a new pH kit today as well.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I didn't think so either so was trying to think what can cause an elevated pH and my ammonia is nil.

Just needed someone smarter than me to look at things.

I'm going to try to get a new pH kit today as well.

You're welcome.

Let us know what you find. :)

OP
OP
D

dnprall

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

Let us know what you find. :)
Hanna pH is 8.4. I got the API High Range pH kit and I think it's showing between 8.0 and 8.2. I'm going to get some new Hanna pH reagent soon as well.

Alk 7.7, nitrate 4.8, phos 0.03

I'm pretty happy with the NeoNitro and All-for-reef dosing.

Phos at 0.03 should be ok right? So long as detectable but less than 0.1?

Added three peppermint shrimp today (can't find them of course so I hope they survived the cleaner and pistol shrimp).

Cyanobacteria is just killing me at this point. I'm not sure the source of them. I may need to try that coral snow from SunnyX.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phos at 0.03 should be ok right? So long as detectable but less than 0.1?

Yes, i recommend 0.02 to 0.1 ppm phosphate, with above that range better than below it.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AF
Back