Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very curious about pennisula builds and would be interested in possibly upgrading to one in the future.

I currently have a 120Gallon tank, and while i love it, i am frustrated that the viewing angle is so limited.

I do have questions though-

what is the minimum width do people think the tank should be for a pennisula type tank? (I am thinking of a 180 gallon range)

How is the plumbing of the return and overflow work given the limited narrow space?

What are some challenges with aquascaping given that the 3 sided viewing?

Thanks in advance!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start as I love peninsula tanks which is why I have one...lol. I wouldn't do anything less than 24" width. To be honest, if I ever redo mine, I would go with 30" or 32" instead of the 24" I have (standard 120g).

The aquascaping is challenging due to three sided viewing. No wall of rocks here because there is no backside! Start thinking in terms of islands, either one long one or several small ones. You can put some arches in to connect things if that floats your boat. Just leave enough room around the three viewing panels for glass cleaning. This is why I would love another 6-8" of width.

As to the plumbing, it's really not much different, except the space. Water goes down and then back up! Most peninsulas I've seen, mine included, are built out from the wall a foot or so to accommodate the plumbing. Either that or you have to take everything through the bottom of the tank (make sure it's not tempered). Either way, just get creative with your stand. I persoanlly think they look best when you can incorporate them into the flow of the house/space, like a room divider.

In my opinion, flow is the biggest challenge. I didn't want to see any powerheads in the tank. I did a very poorly designed closed loop that is no longer in service. I now have a Gyre at both short ends. Can't really see the one on the overflow box, and I've just gotten used to the one on the exposed end.

I'll shut up now and simply say go for it...you will love the three sided viewing. Just remember, it's more glass to keep clean!

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
L

linus.chan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start as I love peninsula tanks which is why I have one...lol. I wouldn't do anything less than 24" width. To be honest, if I ever redo mine, I would go with 30" or 32" instead of the 24" I have (standard 120g).

The aquascaping is challenging due to three sided viewing. No wall of rocks here because there is no backside! Start thinking in terms of islands, either one long one or several small ones. You can put some arches in to connect things if that floats your boat. Just leave enough room around the three viewing panels for glass cleaning. This is why I would love another 6-8" of width.

As to the plumbing, it's really not much different, except the space. Water goes down and then back up! Most peninsulas I've seen, mine included, are built out from the wall a foot or so to accommodate the plumbing. Either that or you have to take everything through the bottom of the tank (make sure it's not tempered). Either way, just get creative with your stand. I persoanlly think they look best when you can incorporate them into the flow of the house/space, like a room divider.

In my opinion, flow is the biggest challenge. I didn't want to see any powerheads in the tank. I did a very poorly designed closed loop that is no longer in service. I now have a Gyre at both short ends. Can't really see the one on the overflow box, and I've just gotten used to the one on the exposed end.

I'll shut up now and simply say go for it...you will love the three sided viewing. Just remember, it's more glass to keep clean!
THanks! When i was talking about the plumbing, i assume that the return and the overflow were on the same fourth side of the tank, which meant that in the sump, does the return and overflow be on the same side of the sump? OR do you try and run a line that goes to the other side of hte sump?

bebaugh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Peninsula 650, and I agree with @dbl 24" is the narrowest tank you should consider with 30-36" wide being ideal. My Red Sea is 24" wide and I have adequate room between the rock work and glass but I do wish there was a little more room for a giant clam and for coral colonies to grow out.

As for the plumbing the overflow and return are usually on the same end of the tank, if you were to have the return on the other end you'd run the plumbing up on the same side as the return and then across the top of the tank in a canopy. Personally I would have them both on the same side, just make sure your return is directing the water across the top right down the center of the tank. You'll want additional powerbeads to increase flow to the far end of the tank, I used 2 MP40's one on each side of the overflow box and I feel like I have really good flow with that setup.

dbl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THanks! When i was talking about the plumbing, i assume that the return and the overflow were on the same fourth side of the tank, which meant that in the sump, does the return and overflow be on the same side of the sump? OR do you try and run a line that goes to the other side of hte sump?

Yes, the overflow and return are on the same end against the wall. As @bebaugh said, I just run the return down the middle of the tank. As I indicated, I'm now using a Gyre at either short end for internal flow. But if you have a canopy to hide exterior return pipes, you could have your returns on the opposite ends if you desired that. But without a canopy, it might look a little cluttered, at least in my opinion.

AquaCave Logo Banner

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 36" wide X 34" long peninsula. The overflow is dead center on the 4th wall. As mine is almost a cube, aquascaping was difficult, and we did sort of a lagoon feel with the rock work. Almost a ring of live rock with an open center. I say almost because really has sloping sides, like a yin and yang or picies symbol if looked at from above. This allows views into the lagoon from the sides of the tank instead of a solid ring of rock with an open center, like a volcano. Here are some older pics:

20170726_164656.jpg

20170726_164633.jpg

20170726_164656.jpg

Florida Sunshine

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my peninsula tank. About the only downside I can remember is that it made taking a picture of the tank extremely difficult because both sides were open. We bought ours used and the stand they built for it was kind of neat. They added an extra 2 feet to the stand and the canopy on the side of the overflow and made that area a "dry box" for the electrical equipment and a display shelf with a light. I lost most of my pictures on photobucket but will try to find some on my old external hard drive. I loved that tank.

Corals.com
OP
OP
L

linus.chan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Peninsula 650, and I agree with @dbl 24" is the narrowest tank you should consider with 30-36" wide being ideal. My Red Sea is 24" wide and I have adequate room between the rock work and glass but I do wish there was a little more room for a giant clam and for coral colonies to grow out.

As for the plumbing the overflow and return are usually on the same end of the tank, if you were to have the return on the other end you'd run the plumbing up on the same side as the return and then across the top of the tank in a canopy. Personally I would have them both on the same side, just make sure your return is directing the water across the top right down the center of the tank. You'll want additional powerbeads to increase flow to the far end of the tank, I used 2 MP40's one on each side of the overflow box and I feel like I have really good flow with that setup.
So if the return and overflow are both on the same side of the sump, how do you get any flow in the sump? or do you not bother? OR should there be a chamber that separates the return and overflow?

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the return and overflow are both on the same side of the sump, how do you get any flow in the sump? or do you not bother? OR should there be a chamber that separates the return and overflow?

I believe that post is talking about the tank return not sump return

dbl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe that post is talking about the tank return not sump return

@Fishfinder is correct. I think @bebaugh and I were both referring to the display tank. The sump should be, at least in my opinion, compartmentalized at a minimum for the drain and return sections. In my case, I have a drain section with socks and skimmer that then flows in to the return section through a baffle. My sump has a separate fuge compartment that is fed directly from the tank. It flows in to the main drain section eventually making it's way to the return. The sump design and baffles will dictate the flow within the sump, and there's more than one way to skin that cat!

Top Shelf Aquatics

needbiggertanks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a peninsula 40B. I do recommend more width, but this fits the interior of my place best. I have a shadow overflow and my return line comes over it on the same side. Under the overflow box is a powerhead, so between the return line and powerhead i get pretty good flow to the other end.

I have the drains going straight into the sump to the skimmer, over a baffle to fuge, through baffles to the return chamber where the pump goes up, along the bottom of the tank, up along the box then over the rim of the tank into the display. Then i built a box to cover the plumbing. Ill ttach pics of the initial set up before i moved it to come away from the wall. Hope this helps a little...

6d53e43811926fb76b2e2d0ff0d46997.jpg
5e1be1fc3831e477d8daf2bef04f2346.jpg
bf67745bc297e21a0eb88080acb49836.jpg
9b89a875f2a47d7d6d7ec0361831162d.jpg

fragit

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed by return on my custom built standard dimension 120 peninsula into a SeaSwirl which is on the same end as the overflow. It does a great job of giving me random flow in the tank. I also have a gyre mounted on the opposite end. Peninsula tanks are the best!

Nutramar Foods

dbl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dbl can you post a pic of your sump, Im in need of ideas

Details are in my build thread if you're interested. But here is my sump, just redone a few months ago. A picture from both sides.

New Sump 1.jpg

New Sump 2.jpg

PAXpress

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine isn't as nice as these but you could go with what I have the new red sea peninsula. Gotta say I love mine. Took the guesswork out by getting a red sea and i still can customize it plenty.
Let me know what you think!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here some more pictures of mine.
It is 31.5" wide and 53" long. I would not go less than 28" wide to have enough space for the overflow box, return lines, wave makers and to ensure good flow.
Scaping is a little trickier, but the wide dimensions give you more space to have a clear set up. Stay low with the scape to let the corals grow and fill the upper part of the tank.

20170513_180518.jpg

20170428_172028.jpg

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Battlecorals
Back