+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you settle on
After looking at all of the options while at work then comparing them when I got home. They really don't match any of them. I even turned on my white lights to compare that way. Considering where I got these and the stores track record for selling wild harvested zoas I wouldn't be surprised if these are something new. I will say that they are definitely in the same morph family as the suggestions.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at all of the options while at work then comparing them when I got home. They really don't match any of them. I even turned on my white lights to compare that way. Considering where I got these and the stores track record for selling wild harvested zoas I wouldn't be surprised if these are something new. I will say that they are definitely in the same morph family as the suggestions.
Fwiw a "wild" zoanthid could be as simple as something imported with the wrong ID.

Heres an example of a morph even in the same tank. Notice the subtle changes.

This photo is when my nutrients got high, and the maintenance got looser.

My avatar is when i had low nutrients and had them in a higher spectrum.

Same filter and phone to capture the photograph.

These are seduction PE's but dont quite know if they are a true palythoa.

Notice the PE mouth which is a characteristic of palys.

Screenshot_20230302_163218_Gallery.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw a "wild" zoa could be as simple as something imported with the wrong ID.

Heres an example of a morph even in the same tank. Notice the subtle changes.

This photo is when my nutrients got high, and the maintenance got looser.

My avatar is when i had low nutrients and had them in a higher spectrum.

Same filter and phone to capture the photograph.

View attachment 3046415
I have a few morphs that I got from there that you literally can't find anywhere else. And of course there's variation Even within a colony. But if you take that one outlier polyp and grow it into a colony that looks similar to it, then take an outlier from that one and so on and so forth until it looks nothing like the original. That would make it a new morph

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few morphs that I got from there that you literally can't find anywhere else. And of course there's variation Even within a colony. But if you take that one outlier polyp and grow it into a colony that looks similar to it, then take an outlier from that one and so on and so forth until it looks nothing like the original. That would make it a new morph
I have a few morphs that I got from there that you literally can't find anywhere else. And of course there's variation Even within a colony.

Morph literally means a gradual change from one to another.
Try to understand what i said above as it was a colony that morphed in my tank with different husbandry.

But if you take that one outlier polyp and grow it into a colony that looks similar to it, then take an outlier from that one and so on and so forth until it looks nothing like the original. That would make it a new morph.

Yes, only because if its morphing in the same tank, its growing and maturing with the variabilities you are subjecting it to.

Consider how each one grows slightly different pattern even in the same colony. They are all morphs if you really get technical! :p

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few morphs that I got from there that you literally can't find anywhere else. And of course there's variation Even within a colony.

Morph literally means a gradual change from one to another.
Try to understand what i said above as it was a colony that morphed in my tank with different husbandry.

But if you take that one outlier polyp and grow it into a colony that looks similar to it, then take an outlier from that one and so on and so forth until it looks nothing like the original. That would make it a new morph.

Yes, only because if its morphing in the same tank, its growing and maturing with the variabilities you are subjecting it to.

Consider how each one grows slightly different pattern even in the same colony. They are all morphs if you really get technical! :p
I'm aware of that. The point I'm trying to make Is that these look different enough from any other examples I have seen of the suggested named morphs to call it something new. Or at the very least with a farm prefix in front of it. Like how wwc does it.

AS

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aware of that. The point I'm trying to make Is that these look different enough from any other examples I have seen of the suggested named morphs to call it something new. Or at the very least with a farm prefix in front of it. Like how wwc does it.
You literally said you agreed on the hawaiian ding dangs. Then when you got home they were not "quite" the same.

This is the literal example of morph and very plausable in this case.

And im not sure im understanding what are you saying in relation to WWC... Fyi, a lot of their stuff is aquacultured and if you pay the same monthly overhead as WWC and import your coral, please, call them what you will :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You literally said you agreed on the hawaiian ding dangs. Then when you got home they were not "quite" the same.

This is the literal example of morph and very plausable in this case.

And im not sure im understanding what are you saying in relation to WWC... Fyi, a lot of their stuff is aquacultured and if you pay the same monthly overhead as WWC and import your coral, please, call them what you will :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Let me rephrase that I got home and compared them in person to a bunch of different pictures of those morphs online and they do not look the same. They look somewhat similar to a few of them but not enough to call them the same. And it doesn't matter what your overhead is. If you are producing something unique or acquiring something you need from the wild, you get to call it what you want

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me rephrase that I got home and compared them in person to a bunch of different pictures of those morphs online and they do not look the same. They look somewhat similar to a few of them but not enough to call them the same. And it doesn't matter what your overhead is. If you are producing something unique or acquiring something you need from the wild, you get to call it what you want
It actually sounds like you are saying your morph looks so vastly different that it should be called something completely different than the 50+ names that "morph" of yours already has.
And then say this is indicative of what WWC does which is completely false.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually sounds like you are saying your morph looks so vastly different that it should be called something completely different than the 50+ names that "morph" of yours already has.
And then say this is indicative of what WWC does which is completely false.
Not how i meant for that to come across. Example of what im talking about would be something like (RC ding dangs).

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not how i meant for that to come across. Example of what im talking about would be something like (RC ding dangs).
I see what you mean. You can put a "shop" name in front of anything since thats the trend for lots of collectors/resellers.
Thank you for clarifying.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you mean. You can put a "shop" name in front of anything since thats the trend for lots of collectors/resellers.
Thank you for clarifying.
Only really if it's something you unique or noticeably different. I'm not going to put (RC king midas) or anything that has really minor variations.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back