Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this guy for 2 weeks from tsa. Par is 250 which is a bit low but total photo period is 16 hrs and other corals are doing well with this. It just seems to be losing color, please see pictures for all parameters. I also give ab+ twice a week.

20230530_111644.jpg 20230530_111701.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You PO4 is low and I would raise it. FWIW .03 mg/l is the minimum, .5 mg/l is acceptable and even .9mg/l might not be an issue.

Also, duraton doesn't make up for intensity. For best success especially with corlation of designer corals, it's important to macth the environmental conditions as closely as possible.

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You PO4 is low and I would raise it. FWIW .03 mg/l is the minimum, .5 mg/l is acceptable and even .9mg/l might not be an issue.

Also, duraton doesn't make up for intensity. For best success especially with corlation of designer corals, it's important to macth the environmental conditions as closely as possible.
I can raise par just was worried the corals doing well may respond poorly. At what rate would raising it do you recommend?

I can also work on po4, ty

Top Shelf Aquatics

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is always a risk when trying to adjust lighhting after coarla have already acclimated to existing conditions. It's really anybodies guess especially as the degree any one of your corals may be currently PO4 defficiant isn't known and it's a guess if any are which ones will be able to adapt to higher light.

If you need a number I'd only change intensity about 10% a week.

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is always a risk when trying to adjust lighhting after coarla have already acclimated to existing conditions. It's really anybodies guess especially as the degree any one of your corals may be currently PO4 defficiant isn't known and it's a guess if any are which ones will be able to adapt to higher light.

If you need a number I'd only change intensity about 10% a week.

This is a 10 gallon fishless system do you think I should add a small nano fish in there to help with nutrients? I just feel the flow inside the tank may be too much for small fish like that..

Basically the concensus is the coral may be starving then? Should I use ab+ daily until I get the numbers dialed in better? I guess I should aim for a par that's about 350 minimum?

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 hours is a lot of light. DLI seems to be real, but there are limits to how much and how little time that you can use. For example, if 2000 total is your goal, then 200 for 10 hours is better than 20 hours at 100 or 1 hour at 2000. I would limit light to 12 hours.

Not sure what having more excess po4 at .05 does over .02. Excess is excess and your coral are likely getting their phosphorous from other sources than testable orthophosphate.

Fish less systems can be really hard. You need to introduce building blocks in forms that the corals can use. Nitrate is not great and neither is phosphate. Ammonium is better for nitrogen. Aminos can be OK, but the corals lose a math battle with all of the other things in the tank. If you have other tanks, then the juice from your frozen food is probably the best thing.

I would get the temp down too. 81 is fine, but if it goes much higher on accident or a hot day, then you could have issues with some acros while others might not care at all.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 hours is a lot of light. DLI seems to be real, but there are limits to how much and how little time that you can use. For example, if 2000 total is your goal, then 200 for 10 hours is better than 20 hours at 100 or 1 hour at 2000. I would limit light to 12 hours.

Not sure what having more excess po4 at .05 does over .02. Excess is excess and your coral are likely getting their phosphorous from other sources than testable orthophosphate.

Fish less systems can be really hard. You need to introduce building blocks in forms that the corals can use. Nitrate is not great and neither is phosphate. Ammonium is better for nitrogen. Aminos can be OK, but the corals lose a math battle with all of the other things in the tank. If you have other tanks, then the juice from your frozen food is probably the best thing.

I would get the temp down too. 81 is fine, but if it goes much higher on accident or a hot day, then you could have issues with some acros while others might not care at all.
I also have goniopower I can feed the tank and phytofeast. I'm not a fan of where the temp is but it's a small aio and I have to assume with the return pump and uv with its own pump crammed into the back chambers makes the water warmer than I'd like. Maybe add a cooling fan to the surface?

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back