0   0   0
My current livestock in my 40b:

- 2x Ocellaris clowns
- Tomini tang (juvenile)
-Flame Hawk
-Midas Blenny
-Green Mandarin Goby
-2x Banggai Cardinals

Do you think that I have hit my max? I was wondering if I could put a small watchman goby in, but I was unsure if I was overstocking my tank or not. The goby would be my final fish. Let me hear your opinion.

I have lot of filtration for the heavy bio load.
-Fiji cube drop in kit with filter sock and sponge.
-Tunze 9004 skimmer
-Lots of bio filtration balls
-Lots of live rock

Top Shelf Aquatics

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things stick out to me one: a Tang in that 40 breeder is pushing it even a bristletooth tang. If he’s small you can maybe get away with it for awhile but in reality he’ll need more space eventually. And two: I would be concerned about the mandarin having enough pods in that small tank. Unless you’re restocking pods from a separate source the mandarin will most likely deplete your pods and starve. Everything else looks fine just my two cents though. Best of luck with the tank!

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things stick out to me one: a Tang in that 40 breeder is pushing it even a bristletooth tang. If he’s small you can maybe get away with it for awhile but in reality he’ll need more space eventually. And two: I would be concerned about the mandarin having enough pods in that small tank. Unless you’re restocking pods from a separate source the mandarin will most likely deplete your pods and starve. Everything else looks fine just my two cents though. Best of luck with the tank!
I was going to say the same thing. The mandarin can be managed with a lot of work, but eventually the tang really should be moved.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been eating lots of frozen foods, so I'm guessing that he will be ok. What are your thoughts.

Nutramar Foods

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going off of what my lfs recommended to me. They said a tomini tang would be a good option for my tank.
Sure. Tominis are also the smallest and least size requiring tang. I want to make it clear that you aren't doing anything "wrong." Just know that once it gets older it may become noticeably stressed in a tank that size and you might want to find it a new home/upgrade tanks.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. Tominis are also the smallest and least size requiring tang. I want to make it clear that you aren't doing anything "wrong." Just know that once it gets older it may become noticeably stressed in a tank that size and you might want to find it a new home/upgrade tanks.
It is about 2’’ right now, and I’m planning to upgrade to a 120 or so towards the end of this year

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just getting away from the tang, what do you think about getting a watchman goby?

Nutramar Foods

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just getting away from the tang, what do you think about getting a watchman goby?
It wouldn't fight much with any of the fish you currently have most likely. I'd get a big one just in case with a hawkfish in the tank. You are pretty close to full on fish in a 40gallon though.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that last one is probably gonna be max given the amount of filtration, I would actually say you have a pretty standard filtration setup especially because you arent running a sump and have a pretty tiny skimmer (tunze does make very nice nano skimmers). How are nitrates and phosphates in the tank right now (numbers in ppm please and which test kit used)?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been eating lots of frozen foods, so I'm guessing that he will be ok. What are your thoughts.
Wow if your mandarin is taking prepared foods kudos to you lol mine wouldn’t touch anything but pods but yeah that’s awesome in that case he’s most likely fine!

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that last one is probably gonna be max given the amount of filtration, I would actually say you have a pretty standard filtration setup especially because you arent running a sump and have a pretty tiny skimmer (tunze does make very nice nano skimmers). How are nitrates and phosphates in the tank right now (numbers in ppm please and which test kit used)?
Nitrates - 3 ppm
Phosphates - 0.03 ppm
All Hanna kits

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three things that can make a tank "overstocked". The first is nutrient levels in the water. If nitrates are at 3 ppm, you have nothing to worry about there. I might even feed a little more, get them between 5 and 15. The second is behavior. It doesn't sound like you have issues there, but the tang may well be an issue when adding more fish. While small Zebrasoma and Ctenochaetus species can be maintained in tanks less than 4-5 feet if precautions are taken, they will be the rulers in that space. Other algae eaters and open-water fish may draw negative attention from it. The third is personal preference. I think that tanks with lots of fish look crowded, even if the fish are comfortable in the tank. Of course, if you are asking, then you probably want to add some. I'd personally keep it as is, but you would be fine with one or two more. Just avoid aggressive/large species and open-water swimmers, and you'll be good to go! A watchman goby would be an excellent choice, very under-appreciated fish that are quite appropriate for your setup. Good luck!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three things that can make a tank "overstocked". The first is nutrient levels in the water. If nitrates are at 3 ppm, you have nothing to worry about there. I might even feed a little more, get them between 5 and 15. The second is behavior. It doesn't sound like you have issues there, but the tang may well be an issue when adding more fish. While small Zebrasoma and Ctenochaetus species can be maintained in tanks less than 4-5 feet if precautions are taken, they will be the rulers in that space. Other algae eaters and open-water fish may draw negative attention from it. The third is personal preference. I think that tanks with lots of fish look crowded, even if the fish are comfortable in the tank. Of course, if you are asking, then you probably want to add some. I'd personally keep it as is, but you would be fine with one or two more. Just avoid aggressive/large species and open-water swimmers, and you'll be good to go! A watchman goby would be an excellent choice, very under-appreciated fish that are quite appropriate for your setup. Good luck!
I appreciate all the advice. Do you think I go with the pistol shrimp pair or just keep it with the watchman

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the advice. Do you think I go with the pistol shrimp pair or just keep it with the watchman

Pistol shrimp should be fine. They add very little bioload, as they don't eat much and most of what they get is just food that would normally be missed by fish. Just know that they will dig burrows, and large ones can bulldoze frags on the sandbed. The noise they make is also very ominous, especially when you first hear it. Sounds somewhat like something breaking, and it can be heard across the room. I have a few in my tank (hitchhikers on rock, don't know how many), and the first time I heard them, I thought that the seams of the tank were breaking, or the stand was giving way.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current livestock in my 40b:

- 2x Ocellaris clowns
- Tomini tang (juvenile)
-Flame Hawk
-Midas Blenny
-Green Mandarin Goby
-2x Banggai Cardinals

Do you think that I have hit my max? I was wondering if I could put a small watchman goby in, but I was unsure if I was overstocking my tank or not. The goby would be my final fish. Let me hear your opinion.

I have lot of filtration for the heavy bio load.
-Fiji cube drop in kit with filter sock and sponge.
-Tunze 9004 skimmer
-Lots of bio filtration balls
-Lots of live rock
I'm the guy who will say you are maxed, I like to give that advice on the future of this tank. Is this a forever home for these fish? How big will the current occupants grow? How much space is actually in there for the fish you have? Lots of rock and corals....could be read as lots of hiding spaces but could also be read as less total volume in your tank for fish to roam.

Corals.com

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing though with a small pistol shrimp and a flame hawk is you may end up with an expensive snack

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RC
Back