Overlooked inverts: What are the common misconceptions of invertebrates in reef aquarium?

BRS

What are the common misconceptions of invertebrates in reef aquarium?

• All invertebrates require the same care.

Votes: 142 42.3%
  • Invertebrates don’t need special care and can just eat scraps.

Votes: 190 56.5%
  • Water quality isn’t important to invertebrates.

Votes: 114 33.9%
  • Invertebrates are easier to care for than fish or corals.

Votes: 152 45.2%
  • Other

Votes: 37 11.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Overlooked inverts: What are the common misconceptions of invertebrates in reef aquarium?

Have you heard comments about invertebrates that make you stop in your tracks? Maybe comments like all invertebrates require the same care, invertebrates don’t need any special food because they just eat the scraps, or water quality isn’t important to invertebrates. Are there other comments about shrimp, crabs, and other invertebrates that seem like common misconceptions to you? Maybe there is something that has been presented as a misconception, but you have found it to be true. Let’s talk about these ideas in the discussion thread.

ReefBuilders_pompoms.jpeg

Photo of PomPom crabs by @ReefBuilders (www.reefbuilders.com).

Budman93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than anything I feel like people will just buy a bunch of random inverts as a 'Clean up crew' and then dump them into the tank to fend for themselves. A lot of these animals need specific care and supplemental feeding to exist longterm in your aquarium, especially if algae or food is exhausted in your tank.

FatClownfish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like snails and hermit crabs are the basic clean-up crew that doesn't require much care other than a supply of algae to eat, but once you get into other inverts like shrimp, starfish, and sea urchins. You need additional care, like feeding nori if there is no algae left. And also better and more consistent water parameters.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are far too many types of invert to put anything other than “other”.

I’d love the king of “inverts” cephalopods some day just trying to figure out how to do it responsibly. I’m hoping for CB cuttlefish if I can swing it. Of course cuttlefish and octopus are so incredibly unique that to lump them in with shrimp, crabs, etc seems crazy.

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different inverts have different needs and requirements. Some are easy and some are almost impossible to keep in an aquarium.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have checked all of the above if that had been an option. Definitely one misconception that is detrimental to both the tank and animal is that a brand new tank needs 50 crabs and 50 snails before even any fish are in it. Ok, maybe 50 is hyperboli but a lot of folks start out with way too many cuc animals.

Once a tank is established and depending on its own specific workings a clean up crew can be tailored to deal with the specific clean ups needed. My tank is a 56 gallon display with a lot of macroalgae so I do not need much in the way of algae control. I have one lone blue legged hermit for that task. I have one coral banded shrimp to eat excess food that the fish miss. I do have 10 fish in the tank and so it is heavily fed and the deep sand bed is probably what is one of my main concerns. For that reason I have probably 5-8 nassarius snails to keep the surface sand aerated and clean. I also have an Atlantic cucumber so I am mindful to keep my nitrates below 35 ppm as they can be sensitive to overly high nitrates.

I also have a white flame scallop so I feed a lot of small particulate food. I have only had it since November and it still looks good but that is not long enough to determine whether I am actually meeting its needs or not.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All invertebrates are eaten by wrasses. It’s simply not true, in fact many of them are ignored for various reasons.
You see they say they eat invertebrates, but what they really mean as far as inverts go is peanut worms, bristle worm, medusa worms, copepods, amphipods, etc, etc. Larger inverts like ornamental shrimp, crabs, and most snails aren't even on the menu for most "reef safe" wrasses.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All invertebrates are eaten by wrasses. It’s simply not true, in fact many of them are ignored for various reasons.
Mysis shrimp disagree :face-with-tears-of-joy:

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought Nassarius to eat detritus. Don’t eat that but clean up well after a fish goes missing. Seems they prefer fresh detritus.
I agree, they don’t seem to be very useful cleaners, I only see them going for fresh food.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, they don’t seem to be very useful cleaners, I only see them going for fresh food.
But indispensable when something goes missing and why I keep them around. Occasionally give them supplemental feeding just to ensure they themselves don’t go missing.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, invertebrate is kind of a broad category. Most people think of things like snails, hermits, shrimp, some crabs, starfish, urchins etc. which are about as carefree as it gets. They all do their thing and yes pretty much fend for themselves as algae eaters or scavengers. Biggest scavenger in my tank is a 9 year old serpent star that lives for fish dying and of course my urchin is 9 too. Assuming an otherwise healthy tank they really don't need anything other than maybe keeping up with iodine for shrimp molting. Of course, hand feeding cleaner shrimp is more for amusement when they climb and clean my arm. As far as CUC yes many will die and/or get eaten. I usually refresh maybe every couple years.

Unless you don't have a live sand bed, I can't see why anyone would have a problem with Nassarius. I have the small and the large varieties and they along with my tiger conchs constantly plow the sand and scavenge. Of course, yes at feeding time they emerge from the sand like subs surfacing lol. I never have a tank w/o them.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back