Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to introduce more fish more quickly into my display tank.

Fish #1 starts its 12 day TTM treatment program on day 1. On day 4, that fish moves into the second tank and newly purchased fish #2 joins fish #1 on the second tank. On day 12, the first fish is finished and moves out of the TTM system, which fish #2 continues until day 15.

Voila! Both fish ich free. Am I missing something?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby nothing good ever happens fast..

Missing an observation period, velvet or other parasites the fish may be harboring will not be eradicated with TTM

Smo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as fish #2 is added to the same tank as fish #1, the clock resets and it is back to day one again for both. And what to do about potential flukes/worms?
Also you really need at least a 2-3 week observation period following prophylactic treatment to reduce the chance of something slipping thru.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to introduce more fish more quickly into my display tank.

Fish #1 starts its 12 day TTM treatment program on day 1. On day 4, that fish moves into the second tank and newly purchased fish #2 joins fish #1 on the second tank. On day 12, the first fish is finished and moves out of the TTM system, which fish #2 continues until day 15.

Voila! Both fish ich free. Am I missing something?

You need to follow the rules of TTM to be successful.

When you introduced new fish #2 to fish #1 into second tank...you have now restarted the clock.

Fish #2 must join fish #1....FROM DAY 1. Otherwise...fish #2 possibly just reintroduced more parasites to fish #1 and now the previous 4 days work with fish #1 were meaningless.

Start all fish at same time and move all fish at same time.

OP
OP
T

Trailermann

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear your warning about second fish infecting first fish. But I did not think that the ich parasites jump to another fish. I thought they stayed in one fish until they were ready to progress to their next stage, and fall free in order to attach to a rock or other surface. That is why we continue to change tanks and water in the TTM method.

Spar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albeit the risk is probably low, you do risk that you transfer over a Protomont when transferring a tiny bit of water to the DT that comes with the fish.

And Ich is the least of your worries in terms of catastrophic results in your tank. I just lost all but 4 of my fish to Velvet that transferred in either on snails or a Purple Tang that I didn't do an observation period for, just the 12 days of TTM. Rushing the QT process will eventually bite.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back