+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Currently looking to add more flow to my 120 Gallon Reef. Currently only have 2 Sicce X stream Pumps which do not seem to be cutting it. Starting to realize I have too many dead spots and have come to the conclusion that flow is a huge reason on why I can’t keep SPS to save my life. What are your opinions, experience, etc with this pump?
Thank you in advance!

FE4E47EE-BB95-4269-A017-8F05C7D730ED.png

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did research on the Gyre type Wave-makers, particularly the failures. Purchased a Jebao Cross-Wave 120 for my 120 Gallon, 48” x 24” x 24” It‘s not any worse or better than more expensive Wave-makers. Figure I won’t cry as much when it fails. It’s actually too powerful for my aquarium. I have to keep it dialed down. Could have gone with a 90, or two smaller Cross wave pumps, for this aquarium.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have both a sicce sdc wavemaker and maxspect jump. The jump is a lot more powerful and sends a sheet of water across my 36inch tank easily at 30%max when cleaned and 60% max after 2-4months of usage and before I switch out the included impellers. Flow actually might be an issue for you but if you have a high flow area near one of the sicce pumps you should still be able to keep sps there

Nutramar Foods

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used other jebao pumps in the past and I can say they were of much lower build quality than the maxspect or sicce. I havent used the crossflow yet but the controller looks very similar to their other ones maybe the wifi ones now are a little better but not really sure
I wont be using them for any of my displays with acropora in it anymore as I have lost multiple pieces in the past from the pump just stopping causing immediate stn, but they are fine especially for softie and lps that wont die in 3 hours with little water movement between tips

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Jebao gyre for 3 years, never skipped a beat, long intervals between cleaning and quiet enough. Had e Maxspect gyre in the past. Pain to service and a lot more than twice the price of my Jebao.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used other jebao pumps in the past and I can say they were of much lower build quality than the maxspect or sicce. I havent used the crossflow yet but the controller looks very similar to their other ones maybe the wifi ones now are a little better but not really sure
I wont be using them for any of my displays with acropora in it anymore as I have lost multiple pieces in the past from the pump just stopping causing immediate stn, but they are fine especially for softie and lps that wont die in 3 hours with little water movement between tips
You won’t be using the Maxpect or the Jebao? Which one was shutting off?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two 4K at the top back of the tank. The controller is great. I've always run gyres at the top where the wires are not noticeable, and two MP40s low on the back. Only complaint with the 4K is the magnet is weak on 3/4" glass. But I would definitely buy again.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two 4K at the top back of the tank. The controller is great. I've always run gyres at the top where the wires are not noticeable, and two MP40s low on the back. Only complaint with the 4K is the magnet is weak on 3/4" glass. But I would definitely buy again.
I have the 5 ft 120 tank dimension. It will for sure shoot a wave of water across the tank no problem?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t be using the Maxpect or the Jebao? Which one was shutting off?
jebao one shut off multiple times, 3 different pumps from them. 2 of the times they did were devastating to the acros I had on my frag rack. That is when I bought the sicce sdc to use which was mostly pointed at the frag rack.
The maxspect i got later but maxspect jump hasnt let me down yet, just need to service it every 3 months or so by taking off the impellers and using the included spare. Then i can clean the algae covered ones at any point. The jump are really easy to do, just pop off the cage, pull out impeller, then pop in the clean ones. I think atoll is talking about the older series of maxspect gyre pumps which were more annoying to do

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

hkgar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4k or 2k?
180 G with a xf250 on one side. I had two but one died. I'm thinking of replacing the one that died with the Maspect Jump but I am undecided between the 4k or 2k. And which to get considering that I may shortly be losing the remaining 250 (bought in 2016).

AS

MarineandReef Jaron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who sells a lot of pumps including Gyres, I can say that many customers are completely happy with their gyres, but we also sell way more replacement parts for gyres than we should. They seem to shred through parts.

You may decide that this doesn't matter and you are ok replacing bushings and rotors periodically, but if you are like me then I really prefer something that lasts a very long time. My go-to has always been tunze streams for this reason.

oldmonk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Currently looking to add more flow to my 120 Gallon Reef. Currently only have 2 Sicce X stream Pumps which do not seem to be cutting it. Starting to realize I have too many dead spots and have come to the conclusion that flow is a huge reason on why I can’t keep SPS to save my life. What are your opinions, experience, etc with this pump?
Thank you in advance!

View attachment 2959083
@ASIN28

I have been using 2 x maxspect 350xf on my ~150g Cade mounted vertically on opp side glass and running at 100% random. . Although i have not started adding any corals yet, but i have noticed that if there is no regular maintenance done on gyres like cleaning, the performance drops. I am usually away for 3 months , so when i leave for work i do a thorough cleaning and by the time am back, i could easily figure out the performance has dropped.

So some additional stream pumps will always help in case the gyre maintenance gets delayed for some reasons.

Thanks

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back