Online viewing: Do you have a web camera for your aquarium?

BRS

Do you have a web camera for your aquarium?

• Yes, I have a webcam for my reef

Votes: 183 34.0%
  • No, but I have plans to add a webcam for my reef

Votes: 187 34.7%
  • No, I have no plans to add a webcam for my reef

Votes: 155 28.8%
  • Other

Votes: 14 2.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Have you set up your tank for remote viewing? Whether you want to follow up on an alarm when you aren’t home, do a wellness check on your tank from a distance, or just stare at your tank from afar, a web camera can be an interesting addition to the technology that supports your tank and expands your capabilities. Do you have a web camera for your reef tank? Have you thought about adding one? Do you have any recommendations or maybe things to avoid? In the following discussion thread, please tell us about your thoughts about installing and using a aquarium web cam!

Hasted_Webcam.jpeg

Photo by @Hasted

bradleym

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cheap, $20 web cam to watch my anemone incubator basket. It works OK, but I really wish I could find one with a shorter focal distance. The anemones I am checking on are small and I lose a lot of details at 3+ feet.

ACW33

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you set up your tank for remote viewing? Whether you want to follow up on an alarm when you aren’t home, do a wellness check on your tank from a distance, or just stare at your tank from afar, a web camera can be an interesting addition to the technology that supports your tank and expands your capabilities. Do you have a web camera for your reef tank? Have you thought about adding one? Do you have any recommendations or maybe things to avoid? In the following discussion thread, please tell us about your thoughts about installing and using a aquarium web cam!

View attachment 3080693
Photo by @Hasted
Yes!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish. I get sent out on work trips a lot and I really should add one.
What is your problem, man? I mean, geez, get on top of it pronto! :squinting-face-with-tongue: Maybe a nice, little “Pop” project while you’re gone.

TurboTang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that I setup only when out-of-town. My apex tells me a lot, but being able to visually see what is happening and confirm what my apex is telling me is priceless. Its a bit stressful when you are away and have to start manipulating things remotely and blindly.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey… Welcome to R2R! I see you’re still quasi-new. If you’ve not already done so then I’ll suggest posting an introductory message. Link is below for you.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your problem, man? I mean, geez, get on top of it pronto! :squinting-face-with-tongue: Maybe a nice, little “Pop” project while you’re gone.
Hahaha
He can’t log in to his computer without completely losing his temper. It’s best to keep him and technology separate

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a room camera with view of tank but also monitor via Neptune Fusion

Image right now:

1680273696158.png

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be gone for work for long periods. I "invested" in a broadcast quality web cam. Mine is an Axis V5915 with full PTZ, auto white balance, and a 20x optical zoom. I used it to enjoy my tank while I was away from home.

With it's built in web-server I put it on the web to share my tank with anyone interested. You can check it out at o2manyfish.com --- Tank lights aren't on till 4pm PST.

It's neat to check the camera logs and see people logging in from around the world. We avg about 100 people a day and that number doubles on the weekends. If I do a good youtube update on the tank then the daily views can hit 1000.

I then took the web-cams feed and integrated it into our security camera system. In our theater, living room, kitchen, master bedroom we have 32" monitors showing the security cameras, and one of those feeds is the reef tank.

Now that I am retired and don't travel for work anymore I get to enjoy my tank from more rooms in the house than just the room the tank is viewable.

For when things go wrong, the PTZ has been invaluable. We were on an Alaskan cruise when there was an 8hr power outage. Fish loss was over 100 fish. Using the camera we were able to guide the house sitter to a majority of the bodies to remove them from the tank.

In addition to the Axis camera on the main 750g tank, I have 5 standard 4mp security cameras on the outdoor frag tanks and the outdoor filter wall so I can keep track of everything, whether at home or away.

The Axis is probably outside of most people's budgets for a webcam, but it's an amazing camera and for me has been well worth the investment.

Dave B

shakacuz

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a living room camera. since we have a new pup my GF and i want to keep an eye on him since we’re renting. it’s too far to get a clear view of the tank.

Attachments

• 221A4B17-5A37-466B-9294-E663464B1328.png
    221A4B17-5A37-466B-9294-E663464B1328.png
    626.8 KB · Views: 134

puffdragon

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 one in the garage to cover the frag tanks and sump. The other is on the display tank in the living room. Those plus my Apex have come in very handy when my tank babysitter has needed to do trouble shooting while I was on vacation. On a side note, I have all equipment cords labeled to make things easier to fix. Plus, I set our my critical spares. :cool:

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Corals.com
Back