Ocellaris Clownfish Aggression

hwylie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

New to this. Need some help.

I have had my ocellaris clownfish for 4 months. All gone well, cycled tank - also have 4 hermit crabs. All of a sudden one of my clowns starts hiding in bottom corner of tank swimming up then moved to top corner at surface behind filter output swimming up. The other bigger clown I assume has turned female has been swimming at it aggressively. Maybe nipping, unsure? Although I have noticed smaller one, won't swim round tank now, won't come for food. When it has swam along back wall it does it sideways. I think it looks like lower fin is either clamped or damaged? Is this normal mating or is the female killing it? Should I separate with breeder box?

I have used stress coat tonight and done a water change.

Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• IMG_7667.mov
    30.5 MB
  • IMG_7668.mov
    16.9 MB
  • IMG_7668.mov
    16.6 MB
  • IMG_7667.mov
    30 MB
  • IMG_7666.mov
    91 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Larger is F
Hello Everyone!

New to this. Need some help.

I have had my ocellaris clownfish for 4 months. All gone well, cycled tank - also have 4 hermit crabs. All of a sudden one of my clowns starts hiding in bottom corner of tank swimming up then moved to top corner at surface behind filter output swimming up. The other bigger clown I assume has turned female has been swimming at it aggressively. Maybe nipping, unsure? Although I have noticed smaller one, won't swim round tank now, won't come for food. When it has swam along back wall it does it sideways. I think it looks like lower fin is either clamped or damaged? Is this normal mating or is the female killing it? Should I separate with breeder box?

I have used stress coat tonight and done a water change.

Thanks for the advice!
Larger is the female and its what is known as clownfish hierarchy where the female clownfish are much more dominant than the males. They become greedy and try to eat most of the food and become aggressive to protect an anemone, a nesting area, or the entire tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its zone, you likely have a female clown. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed when I raised a clutch of baby clowns that the smallest most picked on would have to run to the top corner a lot of the times. You can try giving him somthing to hide in on the surface which seemed to help for me.
I took fake aquarium plants and attached them upside down from the lid of the tank in the corners but any sort of cover they could find up there would do to give them some hiding space and give you an idea if theyre going to work it out or not.
If you don't have a large system it may be wise to just keep whichever two seem to pair up.

OP
OP
H

hwylie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 190 litres and I only have a pair of clown fish and 4 hermit crabs. So plenty of space. Maybe I should try the plants its not moved from corners for 3 days. Would the box be beneficial or will it stop the pairing?
I noticed when I raised a clutch of baby clowns that the smallest most picked on would have to run to the top corner a lot of the times. You can try giving him somthing to hide in on the surface which seemed to help for me.
I took fake aquarium plants and attached them upside down from the lid of the tank in the corners but any sort of cover they could find up there would do to give them some hiding space and give you an idea if theyre going to work it out or not.
If you don't have a large system it may be wise to just keep whichever two seem to pair up.

OP
OP
H

hwylie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger is F

Larger is the female and its what is known as clownfish hierarchy where the female clownfish are much more dominant than the males. They become greedy and try to eat most of the food and become aggressive to protect an anemone, a nesting area, or the entire tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its zone, you likely have a female clown. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open
Ok thank you. I will set up breeder box today and see if there is a difference. Will this stop the pairing process though? Of establishing dominance and creating a pair?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Wont stop pairing as its more ch
Ok thank you. I will set up breeder box today and see if there is a difference. Will this stop the pairing process though? Of establishing dominance and creating a pair?
emistry. Just need to get the female to calm down before any damage to male

OP
OP
H

hwylie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I am finding it impossible to catch the female to go in box! Male still confined to corner. Any tips?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back