Ocean Live rock fans

BRS

Do you have ocean live rock in your tank?

• Yes, ocean live rock is essential for my reef tanks

Votes: 78 84.8%
  • No, I prefer bleach white colored rocks with a side of nuisance algae ( lol ;) lol)

Votes: 14 15.2%

• Total voters

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn’t a debate thread but If we keep taking live rocks from our ocean there is not going to be a good outcome in the future.The live rock does the same for the ocean as it does our tanks. Many will disagree but I’m dry all the way. It may be a little more work or and a pain but if it’s saving our reefs I’m all for it.
Agree, live rock is vital for the ocean, that's why it is important to support ocean live rock farmers. We plant and then harvest what we plant, no native rocks leave the sea.

Live rock harvesting in Florida is illegal, unless you have a submerged land lease and an aquaculture certificate.

lopez052308

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, live rock is vital for the ocean, that's why it is important to support ocean live rock farmers. We plant and then harvest what we plant, no native rocks leave the sea.

Live rock harvesting in Florida is illegal, unless you have a submerged land lease and an aquaculture certificate.
Do you guys have a website? Supper intrigued
and totally support what you guys are doing. Love it. Actually live in the Bay Area.

LiverockRocks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget what I said about live rock & reef. I did order 25lbs, but not pay yet. and caught some details after ordering. First off shipping is not included (as I first thought and the checkout implies) and it looks like they may be drop shipping from CA like all the livestock they sell. UPS ground would have been 1 day if they were actually shipping from Tampa. They haven't sent me a quote yet, but I checked a drop shipped powder blue tang from them and they wanted $103.79 shipping for a $128.89 fish lol. Needless to say, I fully expect to cancel and decline the Paypal invoice when I get it.
Why not order a Treasure Chest from us? $30 UPS next day for Florida residents.

LiverockRocks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have a website? Supper intrigued
and totally support what you guys are doing. Love it. Actually live in the Bay Area.
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock

We will be at Reef-A-Palooza Orlando next weekend, come by and say Hello! Will have a few tanks set up, some merch, free stickers and of course, the candy we include with every order.

New Beds-
21F161F2-2C61-4C85-9787-05696FF755E1.JPG

Select Harvesting-
IMG_7338.jpg

A Year of Growth-
IMG_7064.jpg

1.5 Years-
IMG_6491.jpg

Nano from 30 Year Old Bed-
IMG_5752.jpg

This is why we ONLY ship rock submerged-
IMG_7032.jpg

Last edited:

LiverockRocks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I really don't see a point in though is rubble. It simply doesn't seem like it would be enough to do any benefit...
Rubble is great for nano to small sized tanks. You can hide it in overflows, refugiums or small sump chambers.
I'd say the diversity in micro-organisms is greater than if you purchase a few larger rocks. Also, the chances of receiving a mantis or gorilla crab are greatly reduced.

IMG_4988.jpg

TBS Rubble

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this isn’t a debate thread but If we keep taking live rocks from our ocean there is not going to be a good outcome in the future.The live rock does the same for the ocean as it does our tanks. Many will disagree but I’m dry all the way. It may be a little more work or and a pain but if it’s saving our reefs I’m all for it.
The live rock being sold now is rock that was placed on a patch of sandbed to grow. The critters and spores that settle onto it are ones that would otherwise have died from landing on the sand instead of on nice hospitable rock, and the cultivation sites benefit the ocean just like a natural reef. The only thing being taken out of the ocean is stuff that would otherwise not have existed. No harm in that, especially as it provides financial incentive to keep the area healthy, biodiverse, and undisturbed aside from the low-impact harvesting. Heck, there's negative harm- live rock cultivation benefits the ecosystem.

There are occasionally bits of actual reef rock being sold (IIRC some of the Australian stuff is that), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Small amounts of sustainable collection are perfectly fine. Like how the outfits collecting snails and such in Florida aren't endangering the ecosystem any.

OP
OP
Jrain904

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubble is great for nano to small sized tanks. You can hide it in overflows, refugiums or small sump chambers.
I'd say the diversity in micro-organisms is greater than if you purchase a few larger rocks. Also, the chances of receiving a mantis or gorilla crab are greatly reduced.

View attachment 3109632
TBS Rubble

I love this treasure chest idea. I just ordered 5lbs of premium rock! Thanks!!!

Last edited:

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But aren’t we taking the critters from the ocean if Rock is simply being placed then removed? Pretty much still taking from the ocean.
This is the wrong hobby for you bud. May need to just get out now. I bet you have at least one fish that was plucked from the ocean and thats messed up. You should take it back ti where it was harvested and release it back the wild. :rolleyes:

lopez052308

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the wrong hobby for you bud. May need to just get out now. I bet you have at least one fish that was plucked from the ocean and thats messed up. You should take it back ti where it was harvested and release it back the wild. :rolleyes:
Actually buddy all my fish are aquacultured

lopez052308

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the wrong hobby for you bud. May need to just get out now. I bet you have at least one fish that was plucked from the ocean and thats messed up. You should take it back ti where it was harvested and release it back the wild.
I respect everyone’s opinions and I do understand that stuff does come from the ocean I’m not saying that we’re destroying the ocean just saying that there are some small down sides when dry rock doesn’t have. It’s fine though you have your opinion and I have mine no reason to argue. Not trying to spark controversy, just saying that it has a very tiny impact that dry rock doesn’t.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not order a Treasure Chest from us? $30 UPS next day for Florida residents.
Well, you folks have an awesome reputation and awesome rock, but I have an all Pacific rock tank and Gulf just does not fit the style. Honestly, I don't need rock, but I want some of the Aussie. Now if I build another smaller tank like I'm planning you are probably first choice. If I did buy some of your rock for this tank my Angels would be feasting for days on all that lovely sponge and my Purple tang would finish off those plants in minutes :winking-face:

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I really don't see a point in though is rubble. It simply doesn't seem like it would be enough to do any benefit...
I keep my rubble in my lit sump. My biggest use for it taking stuff off ugly frag plugs and mounting to rubble. Slightly bigger rubble gets used for making nice ricordia or zoa colonies that can be moved around. And of course great for getting shrooms to attach to something.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect everyone’s opinions and I do understand that stuff does come from the ocean I’m not saying that we’re destroying the ocean just saying that there are some small down sides when dry rock doesn’t have. It’s fine though you have your opinion and I have mine no reason to argue. Not trying to spark controversy, just saying that it has a very tiny impact that dry rock doesn’t.
Well imo nothing about this hobby is ethical. Housing fish for our own enjoyment is cruel according to some.

CoastalTownLayabout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the topic at hand, I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are on maricultured rock? Is is really ocean live rock in the traditional sense of the hobby? The process is clearly different, dry reef rock, mined and rejuvenated. I’ve never used it so am interested to hear thoughts on how comparable it is to the unobtanium old school Pacific Island or Aus product? Pro and cons?

OP
OP
Jrain904

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the topic at hand, I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are on maricultured rock? Is is really ocean live rock in the traditional sense of the hobby? The process is clearly different, dry reef rock, mined and rejuvenated. I’ve never used it so am interested to hear thoughts on how comparable it is to the unobtanium old school Pacific Island or Aus product? Pro and cons?
I’ve had a bunch of both. The Aussie stuff and other “real” reef rocks are way more porous and have way better and totally unique shapes too. The aquacultured stuff comes in with way more life on it. Overall I really like both. I use aquacultured stuff as my base rocks then aquascape with the real reef rock on top. Then I like to add more aquacultured rock every year or two to get some more cool life.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back