Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling with my Quantum 120 skimmer for a couple of months. Initially it would just overflow all the time but I read that they need time to break in. Anyway, every time I do a water change, it reverts back to overflowing. What am I doing wrong?

Nutramar Foods

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the water level in the skimmer chamber? It’s advisable to turn it off during water changes. But it sounds like you may not have it dialed in correctly..

You want it foaming below the collection cup. I have mine set about 1” below the collection cup.

BRS
OP
OP
T

Tallaijohn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the water level in the skimmer chamber? It’s advisable to turn it off during water changes. But it sounds like you may not have it dialed in correctly..

You want it foaming below the collection cup. I have mine set about 1” below the collection cup.
Water is at 7 1/2"

Allenh427

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 did the exact same thing for near the first year of my tank. I have a feeling I simply had it set too high, to which when I did a water change and turned it off and back on, it would overflow. I'd set it a good bit lower and let it ride for a few weeks. Even nastiness that accumulates inside the neck is still pulling it out of water. This past year I've been able to clean it, turn it off and on, pretty much do anything and it works just fine.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I clean my Nyos Quantum I always turn the main tube all the way open, turn the water adjustment dial all the way open and the air screw all the way open. Then slowly adjust the water adjustment dial until I hit the desired foam height.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DanTheReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to water height changing. On a side note, vast majority of skimmers have a pump that combines bubble blasting and water delivery to skimmer. If you get one that separates those functions (called recirculating skimmer or external skimmer) then you’ll never have to worry about water level

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find that water changes (or any change to the water at all) can potentially make your skimmer go nuts. It is just the nature of skimmers. When I do manual water changes I often have to dial back the main tube for half an hour until it starts skimming normally. Also happens when you feed, add additives, walk by the skimmer, breathe in the same room, etc.

Raptor72

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of the tricks to get this to adjust, other than just turning the top knob and the air vent, is to grab the entire tube that goes down to the bottom and rotate it to where the hole on the bottom creates the best bubbles and height for you.

Corals.com

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find that water changes (or any change to the water at all) can potentially make your skimmer go nuts. It is just the nature of skimmers. When I do manual water changes I often have to dial back the main tube for half an hour until it starts skimming normally. Also happens when you feed, add additives, walk by the skimmer, breathe in the same room, etc.
lol love the last part.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back