Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why aren't you feeding your corals?

Reef Roids
Half a dozen amino acid brands out there, pick a couple and dose
Phytoplan
Reef Chili
Frozen food juice
Frozen foods, I love it when my corals catch mysis, krill, whatever. Sure they can catch pellets(pellets don't have eyes)

Coral love fish poop
Corals love bacteria that eat fish poop

Coral food is cheaper than dog food, it can't be the expense can it?
I dont really have corals that require feeding, just toadstool leathers and about 3 very small frags

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat right now. My tank looks exactly the same. Been doing water changes and trying to get as much outbbut just keeps coming back. I even got a sea hare but hasn't done a thing. I'm scared to put any chemical treatment in it.
the thread got better my bro check out the advice

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Flux?

I don't know wh

dang, fluconazole again

Who started that? I was out of the hobby when putting fungicide In a coral reef tank became a great idea

H2O2 makes more sense, and that's expert only

Also
Old time reefers used to get caulerpa and put it in their reef tanks. If the caulerpa was healthy, GHA had a hard time growing. They they would harvest the caulerpa, toss it on the compost pile

Now we use Algae Turf Scubbers and Macro Algae Reactors. And Refugiums. Same concept

*Some tossed it in the toilet and it got out where it wasn't supposed to get

Just use chaeto

cngh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those pics pre-fluc dose or post-fluc dose? I guess it doesn't quite matter since you've already started the regimen. At this point, I'd say continue with the fluc dosing regimen, but try to manually remove as much algae as you can.

I think there's a see-saw thing going on between algae and corals for the nutrients. I'm no expert, but my guess is right now is you have very high nutrients, and most of your nutrients are being consumed by the algae because there's so much of it everywhere- the balance is well in its favor and it will out compete your corals. To shift the balance you need to manually remove it (thereby exporting nutrients), less algae means less of it to uptake your nutrients. You probably will still get a lot algae growth because even though your tests are zero or ultra low, it's still there and the algae is very efficient (hence why people use it to export nutrients).

Only after a time when the nutrients come down to beneficial/healthy levels (through export), will the algae slow down. it will still out compete corals, but less algae means more nutrients will be available to the corals, and eventually the balance will shift in favor of the corals (or you can put your thumb on the scale with other stuff like carbon dosing, gfo, algae scrubber, skimmer, etc).

About a year ago, my tank looked like yours but worse. every surface (glass and rock) was covered in hair algae and bits of bubble algae. I almost shut my tank down it was so depressing. My NO3 was over 100 (salifert was dark pink, so maybe more than that!). My PO4 was 1.7 (!!). But about 7 months ago I decided to try to revive my tank and bring it back. I did 20% water changes 2x/mos., every water change I scraped the glass and toothbrush scrubbed the rocks to remove algae, started carbon dosing (diy NoPox) at half dose and building up gradually (I have stopped it now), cleaned my skimmer every few days, tested NO3, PO4, and alk every day, dosed AFR at half dose building up to about 10ml/day, made sure my RODI was zero tds, automated my lighting, added slightly to my bioload, added an urchin and a bunch of emerald crabs and a few hermits (and snails which all died w/in a few weeks...so my current CUC is one urchin and a few hermit crabs).

Now, at this point about 7-8 mos later, I still have a few patches of hair algae on the rocks and sand, but nothing like it was. It is night and day. Now my NO3 is at 2.5-5, and my PO4 stays between .13-.23. I have an algae scrubber but have not installed it yet, but hopefully soon to get those last stubborn patches. I bought fluc, but never used it. It's a process you have to be committed to. That's why I say stay committed for now to the fluc regimen. If things haven't improved at the end of it, do something else, but don't quit a 1/3 of the way into it bc you're not seeing what you want.

If I can do this, so can you. Good luck!

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not I've done this before the big explosion happened. I purchased the 4 pack of eco pods from brs and dosed them with oceanic magic about3 months ago
I have a 90 gallon, and I used 8 jars of the 5280 pods. 4 in the sump and 4 in the DT shut down all flow once the lights went out waited an hour, and added. With skimmer off, allowed them to settle for another hour or 2 then restarted system, and started dosing Phytoplankton daily I still dose Phyto daily and add some pods every couple of months. I have a little hair algae on the back glass and the tang could mow that down in one day. I do not add any chemicals to my tank now unless it is needed. I also dose Microbactor 7 weekly.

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those pics pre-fluc dose or post-fluc dose? I guess it doesn't quite matter since you've already started the regimen. At this point, I'd say continue with the fluc dosing regimen, but try to manually remove as much algae as you can.

I think there's a see-saw thing going on between algae and corals for the nutrients. I'm no expert, but my guess is right now is you have very high nutrients, and most of your nutrients are being consumed by the algae because there's so much of it everywhere- the balance is well in its favor and it will out compete your corals. To shift the balance you need to manually remove it (thereby exporting nutrients), less algae means less of it to uptake your nutrients. You probably will still get a lot algae growth because even though your tests are zero or ultra low, it's still there and the algae is very efficient (hence why people use it to export nutrients).

Only after a time when the nutrients come down to beneficial/healthy levels (through export), will the algae slow down. it will still out compete corals, but less algae means more nutrients will be available to the corals, and eventually the balance will shift in favor of the corals (or you can put your thumb on the scale with other stuff like carbon dosing, gfo, algae scrubber, skimmer, etc).

About a year ago, my tank looked like yours but worse. every surface (glass and rock) was covered in hair algae and bits of bubble algae. I almost shut my tank down it was so depressing. My NO3 was over 100 (salifert was dark pink, so maybe more than that!). My PO4 was 1.7 (!!). But about 7 months ago I decided to try to revive my tank and bring it back. I did 20% water changes 2x/mos., every water change I scraped the glass and toothbrush scrubbed the rocks to remove algae, started carbon dosing (diy NoPox) at half dose and building up gradually (I have stopped it now), cleaned my skimmer every few days, tested NO3, PO4, and alk every day, dosed AFR at half dose building up to about 10ml/day, made sure my RODI was zero tds, automated my lighting, added slightly to my bioload, added an urchin and a bunch of emerald crabs and a few hermits (and snails which all died w/in a few weeks...so my current CUC is one urchin and a few hermit crabs).

Now, at this point about 7-8 mos later, I still have a few patches of hair algae on the rocks and sand, but nothing like it was. It is night and day. Now my NO3 is at 2.5-5, and my PO4 stays between .13-.23. I have an algae scrubber but have not installed it yet, but hopefully soon to get those last stubborn patches. I bought fluc, but never used it. It's a process you have to be committed to. That's why I say stay committed for now to the fluc regimen. If things haven't improved at the end of it, do something else, but don't quit a 1/3 of the way into it bc you're not seeing what you want.

If I can do this, so can you. Good luck!
cant express how much this motivates me bro! I really appreciate it. I'm going to attack the algae a 25% water change today and go about this method. I've been down before but seems like we are always fighting from behind! appreciate the help gang

Last edited:

cngh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant express how much this motivates me bro! I really appreciate it. I'm going to attack the algae a 25% water change today and go about this method. I've been down before but seems like we are always fighting from behind! appreciate the help gang
glad to hear this. it has not been a totally smooth progression- there've been bumps here and there (e.g. alk spike when I tanked my NO3 too quickly), but the important thing is progress is happening. slow and steady. my tank and its inhabitants are much happier. corals look a million times better and are actually growing again. i just had to keep reminding myself: nothing good happens fast in this hobby :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back